PDA

View Full Version : ebay motor???

yeppimcody
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
would any one buy a used motor off ebay??

Walkerallen
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
no i personally would not. first of all you dont know if the engine runs, second of all you dont know how it has been treated/ran and finally you never know what you might getttttt. but again this is my opinion

3wheelmecca
02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I bought one a long time ago, but no matter the type, you need some ironclad information. If the seller is fairly local, you could even stop by for more assurance. if its vague and unknown, I would pass. Most boneyards in Colorado keep their 80's-90's motors indoors, that could be an alternative. other ones leave them outside and rust shut. just my 2 cents.

yeppimcody
02-28-2010, 10:56 PM
yea im torn because i just rebuilt my 250r and i blew agin witch leads me to belive its a air leak in the bottom end and i done want to split the case and io found one on ebay that seems like i could win it cheper then what redoing the piston and bore would cost to redo piston and rings let alone the bottom end! it looks to be in good condition( ik it can be deciving). but i relley need a motor to run in my 84 and one have one for sale??

fabiodriven
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
It's easy for somebody on the other side of the country to send you a steaming pile of poop in a box. It's not so easy for them to sell it to you in person. I bought my KX500 engine from Egay. The seller told me he had "repaired" one of the side covers. Well he did repair a broken side cover with some epoxy. What he failed to tell me was that the left engine case was completely smashed and totally useless. He "repaired" it with JB Weld. The first time I started the motor oil came shooting out of his "repair". I hadn't yet realized that the casw was smashed because he had painted over his "repair" and you couldn't tell until you really looked at it. I got hosed....

TDS
02-28-2010, 11:14 PM
i sell a lot of parts on ebay and whenever i sell motors i dont feel to positive about ill break them down in to parts to sell. cases covers jugs etc.
but when i know the motor is good ill take a video of it to show possible buyers. shifting starting idle accelerating. no surprises that way.

yeppimcody
02-28-2010, 11:14 PM
yea thats what im afried of but the way i see it lifes a bambel and ive gambel with this damn thing enuff already and. grantet if i get bent over on it i atleast could make one strong runner outta my 2. maybe... heres the link tell me what you think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-250R-250-R-ATC250R-ATC-Running-Engine-Motor-1984_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588643b7b9QQitemZ3 80209706937QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

TDS
02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
thye have a really good feeback rating. might be a winner

rdlsz24
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to bid on that engine. The ones I'm weary of are the sellers with no feedback, and in their listing they have 1 crappy pic of a dirty engine.

Rob

zppeacock
02-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I bought a 185s motor off ebay, the seller sells alot of atc motors and atv motors. Came fast and it was clean and runs great.

3wheelmecca
02-28-2010, 11:36 PM
nice, looks like Evilbay has some good in it, emphasis on SOME.

cattle-dog
02-28-2010, 11:37 PM
i have bought multiple cars and car engines on ebay from all over the us. first
1) how many items has the seller sold
2)hows sellers rating
3) have they had recent negative feedback

1)see if there is a forum member nearby the seller to check it out for you we do it all the time in the car world
2)see if they will take a video of the engine running
3) ask alot of ?

jeffatc250r
02-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I have bought stuff from that seller, he is top notch. His feedback speaks for him..

3wheelmecca
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
good criteria to live by. seems like there are more ATC engines popping up on there.

yeppimcody
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
well its final i was trying to get my top end off and i seald it maybe a little too good i was hitting it with a mallet and the top cooling fin snaped offf!!! that mallet went threw the wall real quick guess im gunna start bidding! thanks for all the feed back you guys are great!

anderson8687
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I had good luck on an 86 200x complete motor, i needed a certian number of parts, and i caught this one as soon as it was listed, buy it now for $100 ($40 to ship it.) that was less than the parts i needed, so i grabbed it. Worked out well for me.

clutchcargo
03-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I bought an engine off ebay and was happy with the purchase. Check the feedback before you buy. A little research goes a long way. There's some good consistent sellers out there also.

Taiser
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Bought a 110 engine and a 250r engine. Only problem with the 250r is a stripped oil drain plug, aside from that, they've both been rock solid buys!

jb2wheels
03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I bought a Suzuki GS650G engine off Ebay years ago and it was perfect. Not recent or ATV relevant, but a good Ebay experience. Seller had good feedback and answered questions.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I look at there feedback and the frame/fenders/parts from the same machine - They usually sell it all in one pop! That shows TRUE accurate hours on the motor. I buy them for parts and or plan on rebuilding them with OEM bearings and seals, to last another 20yrs........

If the frame looks like junk along with all the plastic/different wheels and rubbers -and other garbage gives-it-a-way

There are a few sellers I keep on my "favorites" list ; There are some good EBAY sellers are that FAST, ship quick and start at .99C, they know there crap!! Balls included in a seperate bag shipped with the goodies :D

I have 10 cranks with the threads ruined, some are MINT! The right side is left-hand threads and apparently we have at least 10 geniuses within trike world. There's no excuse with all the free books online now, it's just impatience and WHATEVER!!

STOP ruining my cranks you clowns!!!!!!!!!!

Taiser
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Didn't notice you were looking at something from Volcom...I've bought TONS of stuff from him...he's one of the good sellers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.