PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x brakes

porkjr
02-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Rear brake arent the greastest on my 86 200x. Pads and rotor are good. Brakes are Bled out too. Was wondering if a 300ex brake system or something like that would work instead spending a fourtine to get oems.

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Try rebuilding the rear caliper. Its relatively cheap and will help a lot. Just use OEM parts.

porkjr
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
wouldnt be worth anything because the bleeder is broke and it has an easy out in it. (Don't ask i wasn't having a good day.)

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
With some heat you can get it out pretty easily. If the EZ out is broken off then its probably more work than its worth to save the caliper. Unless one from a MUCH newer quad is a bolt on I'd find a decent used one and rebuild it before I put it on. Its relatively easy to rebuild and will make the machine much more enjoyable to ride.

John

porkjr
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I was doing some looking and an 86 350x will work, maybe i can find a good one on ebay. Thanks for the help

JohnR.
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
I thought I might have read that a 300EX or 400EX one was an easy fit onto a 350X so maybe it'll interchange for you too.

anderson8687
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
yes i have also heard that a 400ex rear caliper will work. Im having the same issues, my caliper isnt the best, and im missing the hose from the master to the caliper. any others that will replace that? oem is around $70!

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
70$ for an OEM new caliper?? How can ya beat that!! Takes me over an hour to rebuild them, the slide pins can be a disaster to remove (because no one greases them) and just bleeding it and taking it on and off the trike. If a new caliper is 70$, I would definately buy a new one......................

The newer front calipers from like the KX85 and other bikes fits an 83-85 200X and there isn't a whole lot of differences from ANY of the single piston front and rear calipers on all Hondas; Normally, it's just the mounting brackets ...

I'd tell you to use the search feature, but it does not seem to work well lately!

Manyof the calipers fit or are very close to fitting, but you may need be be a little creative. Depending on the tools and resources you have, that can be a bit difficult sometimes. I know my 86 200X is not running an 86/87 caliper, I think it's an 83 200X caliper.

oldskool83
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
300ex/400ex real caliper is the same, also people swap out cr80/cr85 front calipers on the rears of these bikes.

anderson8687
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
no no no a new oem hose was $70

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2010, 02:36 PM
ahhh- sorry!!, my bad for not reading..............

The hose from the resevoir to the master has no pressure, you can use anything.

The hose from the master to the caliper, if your short on money just find a used one but thats a pressure hose - lots of stuff will work here but the hose may be a bit long and try to get the ends angled or straight but similar to the OEM hose. A used hose won't cost you 20$ shipped...... If you need one, I'll sell you my old one..........

If you have the cash, pony up and grab a braided SS hose. You can find them as little as 60$ or so and they give you a super positive feel when you nhit that brake pedal!

Unfortunately, Allot of these rear master cylinders do not have a "rebuild kit" and all the Honda stuff is gone......... It's frustrating, but you have to adapt a 400EX or 450R or ???????? Whatever needs the least bit of home engineering.

Good luck :D

anderson8687
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
ok thanks, i guess the other task would be finding an end bolt w/ the same metric thread and a hole through it...guess i could make one if they arnt common.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
^ do you mean the brake line pressure hose bolt?? Some guys call them the "Banjo" bolt (I'm honestly LOST as to where that name came from, lol.....).

They are 10MM and I believe the thread pitch is 1.0MM. The head of that bolt is 12MM's.

Search around on EBAY for a custom hose. You will find someone that makes them any length you want (in braided stainless steel sheathing) and with new bolts etc etc. Like I said, only for about 60-75$ or so and shipping, you just have to shop and watch there feedback!

But, allot of those brake line bolts are identical. Probably 10-15$ at your dealer, maybe 5-8$ at Service Honda............. I wait till I have HUGE order (at least 500 - 1000$ or so) and they only get me for about 14$ for shipping. If your friends need parts, you can split the shipping. Someone on the board may live close to you and could appreciate the savings; If they can't pick it up, it won't cost much to ship small/light stuff :D

Grease all those "slide pins" - I use Silicone grease but anything is better than nothing......... I never seize the hardware too. Once I take something apart and repair/rebuild it, it always comes apart again like butter! I guess thats why I'm not a water/mud guy, it just ruins too much stuff!

If you can't find one, I'll mail you one of my used ones, I probably have 50 or more of them (used and new) and even a couple crush washers :beer

JohnR.
03-01-2010, 09:20 PM
When you're putting it together make sure to only use a silicone based grease anywhere that it will contact rubber. If you use a petroleum based grease (wheel bearing grease, anti-sieze) in a spot where it contacts rubber (little dust boots on slider pins for example) it will cause the rubber to swell up. Best case it will be difficult to get the boot back in when you re-assemble after the next brake job, worst case it will hang the caliper and make you need to buy new pads along with the effected rubber parts sooner than you would need to. Like Dirtcrasher said, for all the hardware like the bolts that mount the caliper to the bracket or the e-brake bracket to the back of the caliper a moderate coat of anti-seize will go a long way to making your life easier when you take it apart.

John