PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade / Fork swap

NotStock
02-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Some may have seen my other thread of that 82 200 i just bought. Well all the brake cables are sized and all the brakes are done. I was snooping around eBAY and i can get a 200x hub and disk for less then $35 shipped. Will it be a big problem making it work with my 200 forks and tire? was also looking at 200x forks. Know i saw a thread some were that was about parts interchange, whitch forks and can swaped and such. I forgot to bookmark it and i cant find it know, was it on this site or maybe over on 3wheeler.org? input for a rear disk? I have noproblem if i have to make brackets or spacers, figured id ask people that know what there talking about before i dive to deep in to this and never finish it like the rest of my toys lol.

Muddy
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
TTT..... I'm wondering the same thing for my 82.

atctim
02-26-2010, 12:19 PM
no it will not work - you would need the entire tire and wheel too, and complete brake set up and mods to your fork, and on and on and on. The 82 ATC200 has a 9" front wheel with a 4x130 bolt hole pattern. the 200X has an 11" front wheel with a 4X166 (I think) bolt hole pattern. The hub will not work with your wheel. I suggest buying new cables - and doing a simple brake job on your current equipment. those drum brakes are pretty easy to redo.

Muddy
02-26-2010, 01:08 PM
But technically a person COULD swap over a complete X front end, correct? Ditch the oversize balloon tire up front, add a disc brake AND get suspension. I can't see a downside if it would fit.

TheRealFatShady
02-26-2010, 01:59 PM
If you want to use an X set of forks, use the entire X front end.

Looking at it *very* briefly in the rain, it looks like the 110/185s/200s forks should fit on the X frame. The only difference is the length (or 'height' if you will) of the neck of the frame. The center bar from the forks sticks out about 2" longer than it needs to.

I suppose in theory you can just attach it anyway, and let the 3 bolts at the top hold it together. The problem is, with that extra 2" or so hanging down at the bottom, it may be loose feeling. You could always add a 2" spacer of some sort, and possibly make a way to grease the top of this spacer to make easier turning motions.

Working in reverse of this (assuming the 82 200 you have is the same as my 82 185s and my 200s frames), the problem is the X front end is not tall 'enough'. I would think you either have to cut down some of the neck of the frame (again that 2" approximation, I haven't actually measured) or somehow extend the threading at the top of the middle fork section by 2", either by welding or adding a large nut and getting another threaded piece and hope the two hold together by one nut.

If that 82 200 is the same as my trikes, then you should maybe just look into getting a 200s or 83-later 185s front forks. Have suspension and a drum brake.

Hope some of this helped, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Muddy
02-26-2010, 03:14 PM
You answered my question. Basically just poking around for any info I can. Looks like the X was a different animal all together huh?

NotStock
02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info. 83+ 200s forks, off to ebay now.

How do you guys get the rear drum off? i finally got mine off but id like a easyer/safer way to do it nexted time. The service manual just says to take the cover off, then pull the drum off. Alot easyer said then done.

Muddy
02-26-2010, 06:53 PM
NotStock, sorry if I hi-jacked your thread http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_redface.gif.

NotStock
02-27-2010, 06:58 AM
No worries. Ill keep you posted on what i end up doing. But it looks like id save money and a head ach if i sold this and just bought a 200x. I check the local classified ever day or so and have yet to come across anything other then a few Big Reds.

Dirtcrasher
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I too would just make life easy and try to find an entire 200X front end. But, wait until someone has every single part or all these little things and shipping charges eat you up - slowly :D

200X front ends fit allot of trikes, just make sure the neck has the height to adjust it and that bearings either fit, or can be bought with other OD's than what a 200X came with. I don't own your trike so I won't claim to it being a "bolts right on" swap, but allot of them do.................

This is by far the BEST TIME to get used parts; No one is bidding/buying and people need the cash. I myself have finally started selling a few 86/87 200X parts because I have so many duplicates. I'm just a HUGE FAN of that motor; Cam adjustment is soooooo easy and one end rolls on a bearing - sorry to be OT.

You may get stuck with a dry rotted tire and a caliper needing a rebuild and more than likely - new pads....... Honda OEM, IMO last the longest!

You might have to weld on some steering stops, but thats not a huge deal if done correctly. Otherwise, the tapered lower race can be a problem getting it back in. I have a junk one that I took just .002 or a "couple thousandths" of off to install and keep everything round while I'm welding and heating it up..............

NotStock
02-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Great thanks for the info.

Dirtcrasher- will a 200x kick start fit my 200?

silveradobeast
02-28-2010, 12:11 AM
what front forks can i use for a 250sx?

TheRealFatShady
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
what front forks can i use for a 250sx?

I cannot be certain, but I believe the X forks may fit. The guy I bought my X project said some people had wanted the front end to put on their SX, not sure whether any/much modification is needed though.

Dirtcrasher
02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Your 200 has kick start shaft??

Many of the splines all swap, but the way a kicker pivots and how long it is can change what it will fit. The easiest way to check splines is to use a metric wrench. Some a 17MM fits on and others a 19MM fits on..............

If you have a pullstart, then I can't see a kickstarter in your future :D

BEAST:

200X forks slide right into an SX but now you have to deal with spacers to center the wheel (and it won't center) to make the caliper work...

Swap the whole front end to a 200X 83-87 and make the necessary steering stops.