PDA

View Full Version : idle to hi

eightball
02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
i jus got a 1985 110 for my son and after i start it up and let it warm up it idles real hi till i put it in gear and then it is ok untill i put it back in neturel and it does the same thing any help thanks

HaggLE
02-25-2010, 07:43 AM
It sounds as though the fuel mixture is lean but dont make the mistake of adjusting it straight away.
Make sure that the intake manifold is sealed proper, remove it from the engine and carb and clean it up and get or make a new gasket (cereal box works) and put it back together.
Next thing is to make sure that the air filter is clean and present. THIS DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
If this all checks out and only if it all checks out do the next step, get it warmed up by going for a short ride and turn the idle speed as slow as it goes without stalling, turn the idle mixture screw in really slow until it starts to falter (might need to increase the idle speed a little to get it to falter) then turn it out until the same thing happens counting the turns as you go. Once you work out how many turns, set it to half way between. Readjust the idle speed till its good.

HaggLE
02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
It also might be the auto clutch adjustment.
With the engine off.
on the clutch cover you will see the adjuster, loosen the lock nut and turn the middle screw in. dont tighten it just turn it till its stops then turn it out 1/8th of a turn. Hold it still with the flat screwdriver and tighten the locknut. check that the middle didnt turn as you tighten the locknut.