PDA

View Full Version : 185s clutch removal problem

79fordblake
02-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I got all the clutch parts ordered on my 81 185s. Started tearing it apart today. Took forever to get the outside cover to break loose from engine. Then I started removing things from the centripical clutch to get to the large nut. After getting to it and getting the the bent part of the nut out of the dentation in the shaft I tried and tried to get the nut off but could not. I wasnt using an impact, may have to get one. This nut is left hand threads correct? I tried both ways. Finally gave up on it for the day. Any tips? Thanks.

mopar_man
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
You may need to get a strap wrench to hold the clutch case but if you can get ahold of an impact for a couple seconds of use, that would be the easiest. And you're correct, left hand threads.

79fordblake
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I had a large prybar on the other side of the engine sticking through where the pull start goes wedged against footpeg. So it doesn't move much. I guess Ill just have to go at it with a impact. I didn't think it would be so tight.

mopar_man
02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, it's torqued to about 80 ft lbs and after sitting for a lot of years, it won't be easy to remove. Good luck though.

Vealmonkey
02-24-2010, 11:51 PM
The reason it is so tight is because of the peened area on the nut. The internal threads get quite distorted when those nuts are peened like that. An electric impact wrench works just as well as an air impact if you don't have an air compressor. Also a copper penny lodged between gears helps alot when you use an impact wrench and the copper penny won't mess up your gears. That prybar may bend up your pull start cage, be careful.

79fordblake
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tips mopar man and vealmonkey. I borrowed my friend's 600ft.lb impact gun, took it off no problem. Glad I got that out of the way.
Took everything apart and found out the centripical clutch drum is pretty much toast, no need in wasting 60 dollar new shoes in it.

Where can I get a good drum or new one? The drum I have now looks like it has a bushing pressed into the back of it that rides on the crank or is that just part of the drum and would come with the new one? I don't see anything about it in any exploded parts view. Thanks.

ricky200x
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
dont use a pennie i did that and it took out the oil pump drive in mine