PDA

View Full Version : Getting used to thumb throttle?

TheRealFatShady
02-24-2010, 02:48 AM
How long did it take most of you to get used to the thumb throttle on trikes/quads?

I can't seem to do it. Maybe it has something to do with my thumb in particular, but I've adjusted the angle of the throttle on the bars, and no matter what, I can't seem to hold it for more than a minute.

I get a cramp/pain and need to take it off briefly. I may just put a normal throttle on it, but that may have disadvantages when it comes to turning.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

TDS
02-24-2010, 02:52 AM
i get the strain in my hand after a long period riding with both twist and thumb.

if you dont like the thumb throttle why dont you upgrade to twist. i think its dangerous however

Autophysn
02-24-2010, 03:17 AM
I have only ever had thumb throttle. Love it! Sounds like you need to do some thumb excersizes and check the adjustment. If it causes your wrist to lay in an un natural state, that will mess with you as well. You may need to lossen the assembly and give a turn up or down.

Otherwise do what I teach my young kids, push the throttle with your palm when you get tired....

But if your set in your ways, then yes, change it to a twisty. There is nothing like being comfortable with every aspect of your bike....

TheRealFatShady
02-24-2010, 03:22 AM
I've tried adjusting it. It may be just due to my thumb; it was smashed by a hammer a few years ago and never really healed properly.

I will try a few slightly different positions. I am hesitant to try a twist throttle as I do feel they're more dangerous.

jeffatc250r
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
If your new to this, your going to have a sore paw for quite awhile until the muscle in between your index finger and thumb builds up. I remember when I was young my hand would cramp up bad.

keister
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Tear it apart and lube it up real good. See if that helps.

Mr_RPM
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
you may want to get a new throttle cable and lube up all the sliding parts in the carb, that should make it easier. sounds like yours is just gummed up and stiff. my friends banshee is the same way (and theres 2 carbs to open) because a new proper thumb throttle should be so easy its not a problem

Sheridan23
02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
How would a twist throttle be dangerous, when dirtbikes use them?

Not being a smartass, just curious why atc's and quads dont use them too.

SPD FRK
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
ATCs and quads don't lean into a turn so you end up reaching across the machine and possibly twisting the throttle too far.
On a bike, your never too far from a normal sitting posture and thus, the throttle is always right there.

TrailerRider
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes I would have to agree, lube the cables/carb parts. Once it moves real easy and smooth adjust the throttle on the bars. They do also make them thumb extenders that make it so you use your palm all the time instead of your thumb. I have tried twist and it is just not for me. I feel way out of control. I have many times tried to explain why I hate twist throttle but SPD FRK explained it best. Lean to much and you twsit throttle on accident. Look out! That said the recent 200m we got has a twist throttle on it and it works great, but that thing is going away and a thumb throttle with the extension is taking it's place.

Thumb extender/extension whatever you want to call them.. They work good far as I am concerned..
http://www.targetsports.co.uk/images/uploads/atvthumbextension.jpg

Sheridan23
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
ATCs and quads don't lean into a turn so you end up reaching across the machine and possibly twisting the throttle too far.
On a bike, your never too far from a normal sitting posture and thus, the throttle is always right there.

Hmm makes sense lol I've always riden dirtbikes, been on a few atcs and quads but only for short times. So I don't have much seat time with the thumb throttle, but I can see how turning would be different.

83ATC185S
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
I got a g5 gaming mouse, so when im not riding,im still using my thumb :lol:

http://www.medwaycomputers.com/images/atrex/im45.jpg

jensenracing77
02-24-2010, 04:54 PM

also the reason that ATV handlebars have more draw back.

tulsamike3434
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I have never used any thing different! I would even put one on a dirtbike it I had one!

jensenracing77
02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I have never used any thing different! I would even put one on a dirtbike it I had one!

lol, me to. i was just talking to Bill about this at the last race.

DixiePlowboy
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
How would a twist throttle be dangerous, when dirtbikes use them?

Not being a smartass, just curious why atc's and quads dont use them too.

They(twist throttles) aren't dangerous, except for those that don't know how to ride with them. Nothing wrong with a thumber for those comfortable with them, but there's a whole lot of modern-day misconceptions about what works, what's fast, and what skilled riding is.

If we're going to label a control "dangerous", then let's label a machine type "dangerous".

In the hands of a skilled rider, a 3-wheeler is perfectly safe, just as a twist is.

fabiodriven
02-25-2010, 12:10 AM
There are always a lot of guys who are scared of twists on trikes. There is no reason to be scared of it. I have had twists on a lot of my trikes for years, and I currently have both twists and thumb. In regards to ATC's not coming with a twist from the factory, it is true that ATC's didn't. Tecates, however, did come with a twist. But the Tecate is a man's trike, so it makes sense...:D

tulsamike3434
02-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I had one on my R it just did not feel right!