PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple of ATC's. Got a couple more questions,lol

Muddy
02-22-2010, 11:51 PM
So I was horse trading a guy today & part of the trade included two Honda ATCs. The guy knew nothing about them & they are tore to pieces (what's left anyways). Both of them appear to have good frames. I see that one is a 1980 110 & it looks fixable... maybe. It's missing the plastics, brakes, chain, & the jug & piston from what I see so far. I got a line on another complete 110 without a motor for $100, might pick it up IDK yet though. The second ATC is a mystery machine. I believe it's either a 185 or 200 going off of others I've seen. It might not be saveable though. There's not plastics, seat, tank, handlebars, chain, brakes, throttle, & parts of the motor are gone. It does have BRAND NEW tires for some reason though. :wondering

Here are the pics that I got so far. I'll try to get better ones later. Are these worth doing anything with or should I just part them out? I was really thinking about doing a Lifan swap with the 110, but not sure how involved this would be & which size Lifan motor fits? If the mystery trike had a few more parts, I'd be all about fixing it, but I just don't know what this is gonna run me.

3wheelmecca
02-23-2010, 12:29 AM
the mystery bike is either a 185S or 185, but most certain its a 200M or 200S by how the rear end is set up. What is welded on the 110 forks?

Muddy
02-23-2010, 12:58 AM
The 110 forks look like they have extenders of some kind. I don't think they are welded on though. Just bolt-on.

So the mystery bike is a frankenstein then? I was thinking 185, 185s or the older non-suspended ATC 200. Maybe someone swapped those forks on? The 200M & 200S were basically the same exept one was auto & the other was manual correct? Is there any way to bring this bike back from the dead without taking out a mortgage or am I better off parting it out & making a few bucks to go towards a different trike?

litebulblsc
02-23-2010, 09:07 AM
The bike is no a 200s or m. It is an early 185/200 by the look of the rear frame. 1982 185 cause of the solid forks. On the back side of the jug, towards the bottom it will tell you the engine displacement.

200m and 200s basically the same besides the 200m had electric start, but both were auto clutch

MonroeMike
02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
It's a 1980 185 or 81-82 200. No S or M.

Run the VIN.

http://atcvin.webs.com/

jb2wheels
02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
My opinion - they are money pits. You'll never get back what you put into them to restore them so you have to decide what you want.
If you want to experience of bringing one or two or all back from the dead, go for it. I, personally, enjoy this part of the hobby.
If you want a nice hardtail to bump around on, part these and use the $$ to buy a nicer one. It will be much cheaper in the long run.
Voice of experience - I have a 90/110 hybrid I built from multiple Craigslist baskets of parts. By the time I'm done, I could have bought a clean 110 for the $$ I spent. It's all the little things that add up quick. Gasket set ($25), seal set ($25), rings ($30) (bore and piston OK), paint ($about $50 of rattle cans for frame, wheels etc, + I figure $200 for tank and fenders), headlight ($30), seat cover ($40), carb kit ($20), air filter, chain, etc etc. On the other hand, I love the work and mine is not stock looking.
I also have a $75 POS 200s waiting for a rebuild. The plastics are useable and I have a Clarke tank for it. I'll probably have $400-$500 in it total when I'm done if the engine is useable. I have to by tires, wheels, chain, seat cover, etc. Plastics would add another $150-$200. A new plastic tank would add another $100 - $200.
Maybe yours are more complete?
On a different note, I've read the Lifan engines are all based on the 50/70 cases and not a direct bolt in the 90/110 frames - but it's been done and probably isn't too difficult. I've seen a real nice one on the message boards with a GPX engine in it.

Bottom line - decide what you want and then evaluate your pile of parts - will it get you there?

mopar_man
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Those look like they're going to need a lot. If you part out the machines, I would be interested in the fork extenders off the 110. That mystery machine is definitely what MonroeMike said it is.

Muddy
02-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the decoder MonroeMike! I found out that it's a 1982 ATC 200. I couldn't verify that it still has the original engine because I can't find any numbers on it anywhere, but I would guess it still has the 200 motor on it judging by all of the grease & grime on the underside.

jb2wheels, you wouldn't happen to be on G3GM would ya? Either way, I don't mind doing some wrenching to get it going but it is nice to know if I'm gonna spend more money than it's worth to fix. I don't plan to sell anything just yet, but Mopar Man if I do end up selling anything I'll remember to get ahold of you for those extenders.

Will any of the parts from these two interchange? After looking them over they are in similar condition other than the 110 has a tank, handlebars, & torn up seat. The 200's motor is more complete though & I found the throttle & brake cables intact. They were just underneath the bike when I looked at it the first time. From a second look, it needs a recoil, muffler, plastics, seat, tank, handlebars (would the 110's work?), chain, & camshaft cover (maybe that's where the distributor goes? Sorry new to bikes). All of the other motor parts look to be there & in decent condition. I looked around Ebay & found most of the parts I need for about $250 from what I can see. Am I limited to just the 200 parts or can I "upgrade" to 200X, M, S, ES body parts? Might be nice to open up my options.

TheRealFatShady
02-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Will any of the parts from these two interchange? After looking them over they are in similar condition other than the 110 has a tank, handlebars, & torn up seat. The 200's motor is more complete though & I found the throttle & brake cables intact. They were just underneath the bike when I looked at it the first time. From a second look, it needs a recoil, muffler, plastics, seat, tank, handlebars (would the 110's work?), chain, & camshaft cover (maybe that's where the distributor goes? Sorry new to bikes). All of the other motor parts look to be there & in decent condition. I looked around Ebay & found most of the parts I need for about $250 from what I can see. Am I limited to just the 200 parts or can I "upgrade" to 200X, M, S, ES body parts? Might be nice to open up my options.

I believe the tires should all swap. Even the older '3 bolt pattern' tires interchange with all my other ATC's.

The 200M tank is huge. I doubt it will fit. However, for temporary use, I simply used my 110 tank on my 200s (very similar frame, only difference in the very back that I can see)

I didn't see it online anywhere, but I put my 110 forks on my 200 and they fit fine, just needed the top piece for it as well. (where three bolts connect frame to forks; triple trees????). However, I let someone use my trike and they crashed into my plow. The forks bent pretty good. They are fairly thinner than the atc185 or 200 forks.

And the piece you are missing is the pulse generator. Here's a picture:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/videogamer2005/New%202009/atc033.jpg
Another of case:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/videogamer2005/New%202009/atc033.jpg

Pretty certain thats all you need, with the inside parts. I may have a spare pulse generator itself, also. If I get some free time I will pick up a seized 200 motor and I would be able to let the whole assembly go real cheap.

MonroeMike
02-25-2010, 03:04 AM
The engine serial number is stamped on the crankcase, below the shifter.

HaggLE
02-25-2010, 07:34 AM
The engine parts for the 200s are fairly interchangable with XL185 and XR200 bikes as long as they are not the 4 valve model. You should be able to pick up engine parts for it.
The 110 is a different story, you can use some parts from a CT90 or CT110 but some are different.
None of the China stuff fits the 110, they are the same as the 50 and 70 Honda engines, they only thing that is the same is the laydown format.

yammer hammer
02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
She aint a bad bike bud.

Muddy
02-25-2010, 04:53 PM
The engine serial number is stamped on the crankcase, below the shifter.

I can't see it anywhere. I even flipped the bike on it's side & looked underneath. Possibly it's covered by the frame or just gunked up? There's a fair amount of grease build up on the bike so when I pull the motor & clean it, I'm sure I'll be able to see it then.

RealFatShady, thanks for the pic & info. I'll go try to see if the tank will work as a temporary solution. Let me know if you get the engine & shoot me a price.

One more thing. I know where to look for most parts, but what about hardware like bolts, rubber pieces, etc.?