PDA

View Full Version : The New 1985 Big Red 250es - Home today

Northman
02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Some pics, got a decent looking Red this weekend. Runs mint, better than my 1986 250es. I will fix her up a bit but my goal was to really ride this one. Why do the 1985's always leak on top engine ? gasket or what how much should I worry not that i have seen many pics without the 85 leaking a bit there. Notice close ups I always look for no rust on bolts she was always inside and typical Canadian trike only used a bit in summer months. Also question on bottom of carb its missing a bit of tube and is pinched I think ? i dunno ? does the carb look bad , it pauses a bit on throttle , no rust in tank or edge at all.

pics below

Northman
02-22-2010, 07:47 PM
below are pics

Northman
02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
got pics to work on other comp , not sure why, and I know tires are backwards lol

MudBug
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
She will clean up real nice. those tires are backwards, but just swap rims in the rear and problem solved. Like I said Give her a good cleaning and then get to that little oil spot on the head. Thats just the silicone gasket got weak in one spot. nothing major! Good buy!

Mondexbrute
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Do I spy a Hondaline headlight guard on the front rack?

MonroeMike
02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Good score.

I'd check the o-ring on the tappet adjustment cover, too.

Northman
02-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Mudbog my wife is from Stephenville,Nfld

ya it will look good cleaned up, what was that about ring gasket ? hey Mud i just got a nice foot guard from Avalon pennisula, love all the big reds on the rock its my secret parts dept. how would i fix the silicone do i have to take head off?

what about the carb seems to have drained or dripped awhile he says it was just cleaned but sure does not respond quick to the throttle maybe petcock or ? can i use sea foam blast it

Northman
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
ya thats a hondaline its for a 200 or 250 but i have the real 250es one too im putting on my 1986 also new decals and nerf bars on both , took me along time to find the head light grill its still in package

Northman
02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
hey any links on trying to get that smack dint out of the tank ?

MudBug
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
that O-ring he is talking about is under the valve cover. Sometimes it will leak. Im about 40 mins away from stephenville, actually I see it across the bay from my house. You dont have to remove the head, just the part before the head, which covers the cam, valves, etc. Its an easy fix, motor stays in the bike.

Thorpe
02-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Get a large vise grip witht the pads on it. Picture in link doesnt show the pads, but get that style with the pads...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=swivel+pad&op=search&Ntt=vise+grip%7Cswivel+pad&sst=subset&N=
Wrap the pads with electrical tape. Working on an empty tank, thats mounted on the trike, run them down into the tank, one side in, one side out, and clamp dead center in the dent. From the outside grab the clamp and pull on it squarely, and the dent should pop out with ease... Did that to pull a big old knee dent out of my BR tank when I first got it, worked amazingly well...

Northman
02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Great idea on that tank dint removal, hey can anyone tell me if i put close ups of the carb why it hesitates on throttle. SOme of you can tell by how far screws are in or leaks etc,,,I suck as a mechanic, the guy said it was cleaned but I dont think so