PDA

View Full Version : Tecate rear fender... cover and damper on the bottom/back

scottyms
02-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Ok fellas i've searched and searched and i cant figure this one out... what the heck is this piece... on all the parts break downs they show a "cover" that bolts on in the center of the rear with a damper riveted to it... i'm assuming it must have gone down to the back loop of the frame???

also if anybody out there has one i'd love to see some pics of it, i'm in the market for one as well..

scotty

nd4speed
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
There's a metal box that was supposed to hold the manual i think, I have a one or 2 on my original fenders

petesatc
02-22-2010, 09:21 AM
yep the 'cover' holds the owners manual .....good luck finding one only ever seen a hand full on ebay.....

scottyms
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
There's a metal box that was supposed to hold the manual i think, I have a one or 2 on my original fenders

any chance i can pry one from you hands??? maybe if i lubricate it with a a little cash???

scotty

nd4speed
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I had been meaning to put one on ebay to see what would happen since i never see them pop up for sale.

Let me check first cause knowing my luck I will say I have something and it fell off on a trail somewhere 2 years ago. I personally have no use for it if I found it and would rather it go to someone who really appreciated it.

Been snowing a lot and I have to dig out my shed door on top of I am waiting for snowblower parts so I can repair and move some snow. Give me a day or 2.

alexandros
02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
This is what you 're asking for...

Newer understood the reason for this thing and i don't think its for the owner manual because it doesn't fit in it!!!

Even in a friends very very low hours and excellent condition tecate there was nothing in it.

''scottyms'' i have only one but if i find another one here then it could be yours just if you pay the cost for shipping it to you.

nd4speed
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
ok so what is that thing for?

bigpimpin
02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
it's a mystery

dcreel
02-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Could it be to hold the registration? Not that you would really want to do that, just saying.. According to bikebandit's site they are $12 for a new one. It's called a "holder". I was hoping for a little more info than that. :-)

bigpimpin
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
the manual doesn't say what it's for?

dcreel
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
It's funny, the 84-85 Tecate has a cutout tray about that size in the rear plastic fender to hold something about that size.

alexandros
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Really don't have any idea what the use of this thing

Tecate mystery...

JohnR.
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I have wondered the same thing. Mine has that thing on the rear fenders and I was meaning to take it off when I removed the tail light and tool box for safe keeping.

scottyms
02-23-2010, 02:31 AM
This is what you 're asking for...

Newer understood the reason for this thing and i don't think its for the owner manual because it doesn't fit in it!!!

Even in a friends very very low hours and excellent condition tecate there was nothing in it.

''scottyms'' i have only one but if i find another one here then it could be yours just if you pay the cost for shipping it to you.

thats it!!! i believe it is suposed to have a piece of rubber riveted to the bottom of it.... im in the market for one, i'd gladly be happy to pay the shipping from over the pond....

scotty

alexandros
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok I checked the one on my friends tecate and there was nothing in it.

no rubber in it. i you say for the rubber that we see in the kawasaki microfiche with part number :92075A 92075-1868

this must be for protecting the fender from the exhaust.

scottyms
02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
ya its a long discontinued part.... i was thinking it might go between the fender and the back loop of the frame above the tail light..... dont know both my tecates are in pieces right now as im gathering up all the parts and pieces...

i have an 87 that will be a no holds barred restoration, and an 86 that will be a trail riding beast...

keep your eyes open i'll post a build thread when assembly starts, couple weeks and i should have it all ready to start going together....

scotty

JohnR.
02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
this must be for protecting the fender from the exhaust.

I can't see how it would do that. Its in the dead center of the fenders right behind the seat and the exhaust is over on the right of the seat.

alexandros
02-23-2010, 07:10 PM
the rubber is for protecting the fender from the exhaust and has nothing to do with the mistery of this metalic cover

JohnR.
02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Ahhh. I missed the topic shift. :) I have to look and see if mine has that. When I got it, it had just about all the odd/rare stuff that is usually missing. Of course that was before the stuff was rare or odd.

scottyms
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
humm.... in the parts breakdowns it looks like that rubber rivets to the magical mystery box.... its got holes in that look too be the right size and space appart....

dont know what the hell its for just that i need one....

scotty

scottyms
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Well i have made the break through of what it is for.... it is to hold the owners manual... says so right in the owners manual.... feel kinda dumb now... lol....

talked to a guy at the local dealer who remembered putting them together out of the crates, even he said thats what they were for but the manuals never did fit in them....

im wondering if the manuals for other countries were slightly smaller? has any one ever seen a manual in japanise?

still looking for one at any rate...

scotty

aldochina
03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
seems like a foolish spot for the manual anyway. seems like it would get wet, unless there is some kind of gasket.

alexandros
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Well i have made the break through of what it is for.... it is to hold the owners manual... says so right in the owners manual.... feel kinda dumb now... lol....

talked to a guy at the local dealer who remembered putting them together out of the crates, even he said thats what they were for but the manuals never did fit in them....

im wondering if the manuals for other countries were slightly smaller? has any one ever seen a manual in japanise?

still looking for one at any rate...

scotty

you are right!!! its in the owner manual at page 27 newer readed this manual!!!
I'm scanning this page now

alexandros
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
give me until the weekend and i will scan all this owner manual. i thing its missing from the download manuals that we have.

scotty still haven't found anyone here.

scottyms
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
give me until the weekend and i will scan all this owner manual. i thing its missing from the download manuals that we have.

scotty still haven't found anyone here.

yep... i came home and read the manual after talking to the mechanic at the dealer... found that same page and felt a little silly... lol

i apreciate that your keeping an eye out for one for me, let me know if you find one.... thanks

and i agree its a stupid place to keep the manual....

scotty

honda250sx
03-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Weird. I just went out and looked at mine. Mine has two recall decals on it. With what looks to be the number of the recall and the date on them. Odd.

scottyms
03-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Weird. I just went out and looked at mine. Mine has two recall decals on it. With what looks to be the number of the recall and the date on them. Odd.

if yours is an 86 that makes sense the rubber damper was a recall and is in the correct place rivited to the fender in alexandros picture, and yep it was to keep the exhaust from burning the fender.... it was a recall in mid 86, standard in 87...

part # 99996-1093 KIT,DAMPER,KXT250B1

i believe these are the #'s that should be on those stickers, JKAXTMB1 BG500937 ???

scotty

scottyms
03-06-2010, 12:52 AM
still looking if any one has one to sell.....

nd4speed
04-04-2010, 11:52 PM
here is auction for tray:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260580628779&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT