PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha tri moto questions

slippy4
08-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Just got the 125 running today, but i have a couple of problems. 1 is it boggs down so much it almost dies at about half throttle in 3 and 1/2 throttle in 4th and i cant even get into 5th or it just dies or almost does. Sounds carb related but i just cleaned the carb out the other day and nothing should be in it but there very well could be i guess. 2nd is there is a hose comming out of the engine that is about 2 1/2 feet long (connects close to the carb and that spits out oil all over after you start driving it for a bit then keeps comming out, what is that hose for? does it connect to anything? its a 1980 yamaha tri-moto 125. Thanks

bigred110
08-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you didn't hook up your oil injector line to the carb. Did you pre mix the gas? Their should a contanior on the left side of the trike, and thats oil tank for carb, so you don't have to premix it. You can dis connect it and run premix or connect it and run straight gas in the gas tank and just add oil in the tank
Did you put the air cleanor lid on it? If you didn't the trike won't run right either.

slippy4
08-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Ill try that, but with the air cleaner lid, i have no airbox, just a clamp on filter, why would that make a difference anyway?

bigred110
08-20-2003, 11:21 PM
The jet that you have in your carb is set to be run with really sucky air box, by taking air box off it'll make the engine run lean. I had the same problem when I installed the air box on my 175, it ran to rich, so I just run it without the lid on it.

slippy4
08-20-2003, 11:23 PM
alright, ill try it, even though i dont have a filter for the stock airbox. any idea where that hose is supposed to go on the carb?

bigred110
08-20-2003, 11:37 PM
I think it hooks up some where on the back side of the carb. I don't have it on my 175, so I just pre-mix it.

slippy4
08-20-2003, 11:40 PM
alright, thanks for all your help!

slippy4
08-21-2003, 12:24 AM
well, put the airbox back on and it still runs the same, i think im going to just mix gas just to make sure its getting the right stuff. How do you go about disconnecting the auto lube? just dont add oil to the tank? any help is nice :)

bigred110
08-21-2003, 12:46 AM
just disconnect it and make sure you plug up any holes.

Dan Tenn
08-21-2003, 09:36 AM
STOP RIDING IT !!! at least until you get oil in it. I suspect that you dont have the auto lube hooked to the carb, and you have NO OIL. Pull off the side cover over the auto lube, and unhook it, or just remove the oil tank on the side. Then mix oil into the gas. Im guessing about 40:1 with good 2-stroke oil.

slippy4
08-21-2003, 12:38 PM
well even though there might not been that one hose hooked up there still was one that was hooked up to the carb comming from right next to the in comming of the oil hose, the hose i was ref. to came from about right next to the cylender. im just going to pre mix anyway to be sure everythings working the way it should. i dont think it hurt anything because even if there was getting no oil to it it still was smoking (i think the rings may be a little bad and the tranny oil was getting up by the piston) thanks for your help

slippy4
08-21-2003, 02:45 PM
well i got it running pretty good trailprotrailpro by having about a quarter choke on the whole time and after about 5-10 minutes it started to run really crappy again and then i would rev it higher i chould hear a either a knocking sound or something that kinda sounded like that then when i let off it would stop. but then it would idle really really high then i took off again and it just kinda putted out. so i started it back up and took off and a few feet down it died and then it would not start. it still wont start unless i just either then it just runs untill it runs out of either. it feels like it has alright compression ( finger over spark plug hole) but i have no def. way of telling untill tonight when i get a tester. What would cause all this to happen? to me it sounds like piston or something went bad but im not sure.

slippy4
08-21-2003, 08:04 PM
is there any way a 175 jug will bolt on the 125? the reason i am asking is the only difference is the bore as the stroke is the same. but i guess the jug is going to be bigger isnt it?

slippy4
08-21-2003, 10:57 PM
figured it all out but still running way to lean (i need the tube that connects the airbox to the carb)