PDA

View Full Version : 200x top end rebuild.

86trizinger
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
My 200x seems to run pretty good but smokes intermittendly.. definitely oil I figure I might as well rebuild the top end completely while I take it apart any ways.

I needs a parts list of what I should replace things with while I am tearing it down.
For the head I am thinking:
-Valves
-Valve seals

I am not sure what route to go with for the piston.. I only see Wiseco 12:1 pistons.. I really want to keep it around 10:1 since its mainly for trail riding. Any recommendations? I don't see a ton of options on the sites I have looked so far.

Also on the list is a DG exhaust system.

Should I change the cam out or the carb for a little more power? And while I have the engine out what else should I check? Clutch springs or clutches?

Any help or info you could give would be great. I am just trying to build a nice powered reliable 200x. Also where is the best place to get the parts.

I also need to know what is the largest piston size I can use without sleeving the cylinder.

AutoXer
02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
denniskirk has pistons and gasket sets ... bikerchick on e-gay has alot of stuff you can get a stock piston or maybe if yours is in good shape you could just put some new rings? Change the clutch while it is on the bench and clean the oil rotor while you are there as far as the cam and carb I would stick with stock stuff unless you want to spend a grand on the right stuff Good luck and make her nice

gijoe8204
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Try www.cheapcycleparts.com or powersedge.com both are fairly cheap but still have thew discontinued parts like everyone else. I'm in the middle of a 85' 200x engine total engine rebuild myself. Good luck with the rebuild.

86trizinger
02-17-2010, 01:17 AM
I also need to know what is the largest piston size I can use without sleeving the cylinder.

Vealmonkey
02-17-2010, 02:53 AM
My advice is just bore to the next oversize if needed. No need to open up the cylinder to the point where if something messes up, then you will need to resleeve or another cylinder. If you want a bigger engine, get a 350x. Bigger is't always better. There are other ways to get power. Also why replace the valves if you don't have to. If you are going to replace valves, you may as well replace the valve guides. And if you are replacing valves, then you may have to regrind the valve seats. If you want more power, then blue print your engine. Match port your head and intake. Polish up your intake and exhaust runners, that will help alot. I wouldn't advise to try and do any home porting jobs though. It doesn't take much to ruin a head and have your performance in the dumps. Don't get a real high compression piston or you will be using exotic fuel instead of pump gas. Same thing with the cam. Don't overcam. It just makes the trike a pain to tune and jet and it will quickly become no fun. Overcammed trikes have a tendency to foul plugs. If you were building a racer, I could see it, but you are making a play bike and the 200x is pretty fun out of the box. And anything you change much from stock means .....jetting. Your better off staying towards stock. A nice exhaust and a good airfilter and just keep the stock cam and just make sure you freshen up the whole top end. You'll save alot of money and frustration. You may find out when you get the top end off that your crank needs redone anyway. More than likely you are on your original crank bearings. You may find you have to split the cases and have to rebuild your crank. And if you're there you better go ahead and replace all internal bearings and seals. Don't get ahead of yourself until you find out what you have once you get the top end off. I've seen it happen plenty of times before. Not trying to ruin your fun, but these trikes have some age on them and just figure the previous owners haven't treated them too well. Have you run a compression test on the trike to see what the top end is like? Just cause it's smoking doesn't mean it's worn rings or a worn cylinder. Old valve seals will do the same thing. Don't make yourself any more work than you have to.