PDA

View Full Version : Developed a new engine noise today....

Thorpe
02-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Was out bogging around in the snow on the BR today, lugging the motor pretty hard, and it seems to have developed a new noise... (85 BR 250es) Kind of a chain slap noise in the motor...Doesnt do it all the time, just when loading the motor hard... Kinda thinking the timing chain maybe be about worn out? Sound likely? Feel free to chime in with input... Thanks!

code200k
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
i too would say timing chain..

muddog
02-13-2010, 10:43 AM
x2 on that

atc500x
02-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Check the chain,but I have solve a problem like that last year on my 250sx.....The front pipe is a double wall pipe,and the inner wall was failed.The noise was the same as a chain.I have change the chain and finally the front pipe....maybe a easy test to do if you hae a spare one before changing chain.

MudBug
02-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Was out bogging around in the snow on the BR today, lugging the motor pretty hard, and it seems to have developed a new noise... (85 BR 250es) Kind of a chain slap noise in the motor...Doesnt do it all the time, just when loading the motor hard... Kinda thinking the timing chain maybe be about worn out? Sound likely? Feel free to chime in with input... Thanks!

your lucky! I think mines getting rod knock!

fabiodriven
02-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Check the chain,but I have solve a problem like that last year on my 250sx.....The front pipe is a double wall pipe,and the inner wall was failed.The noise was the same as a chain.I have change the chain and finally the front pipe....maybe a easy test to do if you hae a spare one before changing chain.

I like that diagnosis, very creative. If it is that I would assume it would be an easy enough fix to buzz a couple welds through the outside layer to make it stop.