PDA

View Full Version : New to 3WW, looking for some suggestions

Muddy
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi all! I'm in the market for my first three wheeler. Truth be told, I started looking at them because they are cheaper than most four wheelers I have come across. I have two different deals in my scopes right now, but I have no clue when it comes to these. Let me tell you guys about what I can buy & I would like to hear some input.

I mainly plan to be riding in thick woods with a lot of hills & a couple of mud holes here & there. I'm 5'9" & 190 lbs, but I know I'll be giving my kids a ride on occasions. I am used to riding a modified Blaster on these trails so power does mean a little bit. I'd actually say I'd prefer more low end torque than all the top end that thing had though. In the trails I ride, there's maybe one section I could get up to 6th gear in & the rest it was 2nd & 3rd gear cruising or using the powerband to rip up a couple of gnarly hills. Here's the two deals I am debating at the moment & this is just what the owners have told me:

1. 1982 Honda 185s - Has a bassani header been bored out (not sure how much), aftermarket cam, and jetted, but all of this was done back in the late 80's. Smokes on start up then quits when it warms up. Been sitting for several years, carb was cleaned & has been ridden 5 or 6 times in the last 6 months. I got a couple of pics, but they are huge! I'm not sure how to post them on this forum. Pics look like any other 185s I've seen, but with a dented in tank & busted headlight. Otherwise it looks decent with good plastics, tires, & seat. Price - $500 FIRM

2. 1984 Yamaha 225 DX - Runs good, rides good. Includes two other 225 DX parts bikes. Both parts bikes run, but one needs the engine re-assembled. Haven't seen pics of these yet, but he has offered to let me take it for a test ride. He wants $700 obo for the one by itself or $800 for all three. Gonna try to talk him down to $600 for all of them.

Which one is the better deal for my needs & are either of them in the right price range for their value?

fabiodriven
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I'd go with the Yamaha because of the front and rear suspension and a little more power.:welcome:

Macs
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I would say the yammy too..... but you might want to hold off and keep your eyes open for an X or R. they might be a bit better suited for you.

darkestskydiver
02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
i would go with the yami as well. plus with the parts bikes you could sell them off on ebay or here and fund any upgrades or resto's you might do to it.

200XMichigan
02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
The Yamaha for sure, electric start, front and rear suspension, more CC and parts bikes. Get the Yamaha. For sure.

Muddy
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow! Quick replies & unanimous. I figured the 185 would be faster if it had all of those upgrades & chain drive instead of shaft drive, but I've never owned either so what do I know? The suspension I never thought about I guess, which would be more suited to running through the woods. Honestly I'd love to get a 250r or 350x, but I've been looking for the last 6 months in newspapers & every area Craigslist within 2 hours drive. I've never seen a 350x for sale & every 250r I have found is way out of my price range. I've ran across several Honda 200's in non-running condition for $200-$300, but I passed on them. Most were missing plastics, or had a blown motor, etc. I'm actually curious to see how much is left on each of the part bikes. If there is enough to salvage together a second bike then :Bounce ! Doubt it, but it could happen.

Side Wayz
02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Im a honda guy but the yammy seems more suited for you, but if you can hold off maybe even a 200x 83-85 would be nice. Just my 2 pennies. Hope you find what you need.

MonroeMike
02-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Another vote for suspension, your back will thank you.

200XMichigan
02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I like Honda more too but the 225DX seems pretty impressive, fully suspension, shaft drive and e-start and more than 50 lbs less than a 250SX. I'd like to get my hands on one sometime.

Muddy
02-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Ahh.... full suspension & electric starter. Something I take for granted on my enduro. So if the electric starter goes out I'm guessing there's either a kick or pull start. The more you guys convince me, the more I'm thinking the Yamaha must be pretty advanced for it's time. Where are you getting the stats for weight? I'd like to know weight & power specs on it so I can at least get a decent comparison to other ATV's I've been on. How well do these 225's take to mods & how available are they? Obviously less stuff is gonna be available than a Honda, but surely there's stuff out there.

BTW, anyone want to take a shot in the dark on how much I should pay for the Yamahas? Listed price is on first post, but I don't know if that's fair or if I have some breathing room to haggle the price down some. LOL I feel like such a newb.

MonroeMike
02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Sads/sYam1985TriMotos4.jpg

leviblue
02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
A good running 225 is usally $500-700 depending how the plastics are....part bikes can be from $50-150..... I'd start at $500 and go from there but $700 for all three is a good deal.....if you can make another from the parts hey then $700 would be my limit. There's alot of yamma owners here who need parts and it could pay off in the end

kirby
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
as a owner of a 225dx i would say for sure the yammi. Im a little taller and a bit heavier than you and it has plenty of power for me. the yammi is a great trike. The price is about right i would offer $600 for a three and not go over $700. if the parts bikes have some good parts then you will easily get some of your money back. if you get it let me know i might want something you have and i might have somethings you might need , good luck either way

Muddy
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.g3gm.com/users/1813/58/83/10/smiles/772947.gif Yamaha owner isn't responding back now. :(

In better news though..... I'm getting a couple of parts ATCs, but the owner doesn't really know what they are other than MAYBE a 125 & 200. That info & a couple of pics is all I got to go on. I'm getting them as part of a trade, so no big cost there. Only problem is I'm back to square one on buying a running ATV. I'm gonna try one more time to get ahold of the guy with the 225 DX & then start looking around.... again.