PDA

View Full Version : 185s only runs with new plugs!

runaway
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
hello
well the title says it all, it will only run with a new plug and then when go to ride it later it will not start. but put a shinny new plug in it it fires right up. even when i clean the plug it wont start. when i pull the plug it is covered in carbon,and im running a after market uni air filter. could this be my problem?help me guy i wanna ride so bad.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Is the plug more of a wet black or dry black color? It sounds to me like it could be running really rich, possibly from getting too much gas, or a clogged air filter. If you rev it up, does it puff black smoke? Also, be sure the choke isnt stuck on, and you may want to check out the pilot feul screw, on bottom of carb near the intake side, it would be too far out or missing. These are some good places to start. Good Luck!

daniel_250r
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
stop buying new plugs for starters. get a propane torch and heat the plug till red hot it will come out like new. if its carbon fouled get a carb kit and start out fresh assuming all your adjustments are left stock

runaway
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
hello
thanks for the tip on cleaning the plug ive never heard that. i dont think its the air filter, it does not blow out black smoke and the choke is not stuck on. so i will check pilot screw u mentioned. oh and it is a dry carbon covered plug.

would changing the air filter from stock change things that much it would cause this prob?

daniel_250r
02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
if anything it would run lean and the plug would be cleaner. did it just start doing this or just after the filter install?

shortline10
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Are you using an NGK plug ?

Thorpe
02-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Sound like you have jetting issues to me... I disagree with cleaning plugs... I think its halfassed at best. (just my opinion) I think a carb kit is in your future...

runaway
02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
hello
yes its a ngk and it just started and filter is older than problem.

daniel_250r
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
also check your ignition timing (located under cdi cover) if its off it will run very poorly