PDA

View Full Version : 350x stuck in gear?

inv3ctiv3
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
So as you guys probably know I did some work on my 1985 350x a couple of weeks ago which lead it to being on it's side (with oil in it) for a week or so.....Well it smokes really really bad now and I have been starting it and letting it run to burn all the oil off but yesterday after I did it I put it in gear and drove it into the garage and now it won't get out of first.....No matter what I do or how hard I try and shift it out or get it into neutral....What should I do? I haven't encountered this before...

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Lay it on the right side, take off the left sidecover and most likely you will find the issue.

For some reason I find allot of Honda gearbox linkages to break, come loose and or fail in another way.

I doubt it's an internal issue, the 350X has a solid gearbox..........

jensenracing77
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
i don't think it is smoking from it being on it's side. will it start and run after it got stuck in gear? well, if you hold the clutch in? like Dirtcrasher said, the 350X has a pretty tough gear box. i don't think it will be internal. the only thing that has me concirned is the oil pump. i can't remember the flow chart on the 350X but did you do anything with the oil pump when you had the clutch cover off? i will have to get the book out and refresh my memory on the 350 engine and think about this one.

inv3ctiv3
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
i don't think it is smoking from it being on it's side. will it start and run after it got stuck in gear? well, if you hold the clutch in? like Dirtcrasher said, the 350X has a pretty tough gear box. i don't think it will be internal. the only thing that has me concirned is the oil pump. i can't remember the flow chart on the 350X but did you do anything with the oil pump when you had the clutch cover off? i will have to get the book out and refresh my memory on the 350 engine and think about this one.

When I asked on here everyone said it's from being on it's side, here's a video of it:

http://vimeo.com/9107328

jensenracing77
02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
if it was from it being on it's side, it should clear up with just a little riding. 30 min at very tops. i have had them on there side many times like this and not had a problem. not saying it can't, but just thought it would have cleared up by now. have you had much time riding it from when you got it done? i hope i am wrong and it just goes away with more time. i think i recomended to do it that way and would feel bad if it caused something bad.

inv3ctiv3
02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Well I haven't ridden it yet, I have no where to ride at home. I've just let it idle for a minute or two a few times....

inv3ctiv3
02-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Any other thoughts? I am thinking of trying to start it again (clutch in obviously) and seeing if letting the clutch out will help break anything loose.

Dirtcrasher
02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Did you remove the left cover?? Take it off, take some pics if you aren't sure what your looking at or what your looking for.

I have no other thoughts than that 1st, then we can go from there.

I wasn't concerned about the smoking. Tired motor, rings, valves - who knows but it either cleans up and it's no big deal or it needs to be torn down - who knows.

I'm talking about your gear issue, the clutch won't break ANYTHING loose. If it's jammed it's either internal or external, then nothing can X ray it for you. Take that left cover off, get a new gasket and look at the stopper pin and associated parts. They snap, come loose and bind up parts.

I've bought plenty of "it has a bad shift fork" trikes/bikes to find 20$ fixes...................

inv3ctiv3
02-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Ok well I'll try and do that this week, I started it up and it doesn't go anywhere with the clutch in, let it out and it's in 1st obviously but won't shift. So I'll take it apart this week when I have some time and I'll post up some pics.

Vealmonkey
02-16-2010, 12:34 AM
If something isn't working right, forcing it will not solve the problem, only make it worse. If you didn't line up something just right, then chances are it won't work till properly lined up. A 350x is a tad more complicate than a 90/110 so more things to go wrong. It can be a chore just to get the clutch side cover on right. Don't ask, LOL Don't make a bad thing worse.

Dirtcrasher
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Remember, it's the left or stator side that will probably show you the issue, not the clutch cover side. My money is still on a loose pin/broken pin and other issues you'll find under that cover. Then I can tell you how to test it all without running it.......

If you don't take it apart soon, I'm gonna strangle you through my new "StrangleCam" :D

Get it apart, PLEASE!!; I just want to help.................A gasket, thats your only cost to take a looksie!

oldskool83
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
take it appart and try it again, as i say, gotta screw up the 1st time to get it right from there on out

inv3ctiv3
02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
No it worked fine after the whole clutch cover thing so I know I got all that done right. It rode and drove just fine until one day, so I am gonna follow DC's advice since he is the man when it comes to everything haha