PDA

View Full Version : Deep in thought... Could be dangerous.

MagicJames
02-09-2010, 09:00 AM
So I'm basking in all of the advances that we on the site are making for reproducing OEM parts that can't be made anymore, big bore kits that were like mythical creatures, and mods that were thought to be lost in the 80's and 90's are re-appearing and with great success all of these projects seem to bring new life and everyone can take a deep breath not worrying about if their Tecate intake boot will make it another riding season.

Anyway, I'm taking machining classes and I'm not quite far enough into the program to make anything yet, but I did ask the instructor in the machine tool lab if they allowed "government" (you know if you've ever worked anywhere that makes anything) projects, he just smiled and said, "what are you thinking about making? I just said some old ATV parts that can't be made anymore.
Then in my Intro to Manufacturing class later, they talked about using different types of molds to create different products. I'm watching the movie and they use wax to make a mold, then coat it in a ceramic coating, then bake it, then coat, etc. I was thinking, how/what could i make that would be useful to me, but won't be a huge die, such as reproducing 250R low profile fenders (it was a serious thought though). I came up with the idea that maybe I should make 350X mudflaps. They aren't huge, and i can pick them up for ~$100. My buddy has a full machine shop attached to the house and could help out, and my Uncle on the other side of the state has a HUGE machine shop, and told me anytime I want to make parts he would be more than happy to help out. I know there is a LOT more to learn about making a die for molding plastic, and it wouldn't be a project that was probably completed till next year. But there seems to be a large interest in the flaps, and pending what it would cost, factoring the labor involved and all the machining, and the materials to make the mud flaps, I think it would be a big hit.

I know there is a few guys out there making their own products, and I'm just curious if you have any insight, or ideas to help me along the way, I know it's just a dream and a 2 blocks of aluminum, but it's something that I would love to make, and spread amongst the 3 wheeler community.

Vealmonkey
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
The mudflaps were injection molded. The dies probably wouldn't be too hard to make, but an injection molding machine may be slightly cost prohibitive. The mudflaps are only as popular as long as there are OEM fenders. Mudflaps don't fit on the Maier fenders, they are sort of built in.