PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke Silencer re-packing tips!

Bryan Raffa
02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Little Super Sunday silencer rebuild,

unscrew or drill out your rivets and remove your end cap..

I took a piece of brake line/long screw driver to remove as mutch as I could before removing the core.

remove the core by wiggling it back and forth

clean out the front cap this is where the OOZE likes to sit,, you may have to remove the front cap off the Bike.

clean the core with a wire brush or die wheel

pack the front cap with a small ball of insul...first

then install the core with the solid spot up and the holes twards the big part of the can, other silencer may not have that, it may may holes all the way around .

proceed to pack the Can evenly,, pushing in with your fingers and a screwdriver..Dont pack too tight! it will push itself in if you do it evenly.

Install your spring and cap ,, install your screws and OR rivets..

FMF brand is what I used Pretty NICE stuff! ,, that Whole bag is in my DG silencer,, I picked it up at TF09 as a door Prize,, and I thought I would give back to the site by showing how it's done.:D

Kintore
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
That was MY bag I donated! Glad to see its working for ya! its all I use!

Maico
02-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I have to pack my factory Maico silencer that way as the core doesn't come out. Other than that....all other silencers I just wrapped the core semi tight with the entire sheet of packing material,did a few spiral wraps with masking tape to hold it on and then slid the core back in.

To each his own I guess.

MonroeMike
02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Nice write up.

nd4speed
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I too like bulk sheets of fiberglass packing, wrap tight, cut to size, use electrical or duct tape to hold, assemble.

JohnR.
02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
You can't pack the strand type the way you do the sheets. That's why he did it the way he did.

Bryan Raffa
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I too like bulk sheets of fiberglass packing, wrap tight, cut to size, use electrical or duct tape to hold, assemble.

yes I have used that also,,, duct tape makes it a son of a gun the next time tho.. masking tape is the best

code200k
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
how often should a silencer be re-packed?

Bryan Raffa
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Good Question ..It had been over two years since I did it ,, so I was right ,,, It needed it!

Maico
02-08-2010, 01:00 AM
You can't pack the strand type the way you do the sheets. That's why he did it the way he did.

Yes you can. Just lay it out and spread it evenly. Then roll it over the core like rolling a big fat Scooby snack! LOL