PDA

View Full Version : atc honda 200S decompression cable/purpose??

bigworm626
02-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, I just bought a 84 atc 200S. The bike is currently not running. The previous owner thinks it's either the CDI or the stator coils because theres no current. I'm still to perform a complete diagnostic but what I noticed is that it's missing the decompression cable that connects to the valve lifter. What's the exact funtion of the this cable?? May this be the reason why it may not be starting as well. I also noticed that when I pull on the starter rope/pull start it's short & you can't be pulled all the way up like normal. Can it be because they put a shorter starter rope?? Thx, biworm

JustEnough
02-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Download the shop manual here:

ATC200S 84-86 Shop Manual.pdf (http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/ATC200S%2084-86%20Shop%20Manual.pdf) after it loads on your screen, you have to choose File and Save As to save the document to your hard drive.

The decompression cable just pulls on the decompression lever to lift the exhaust valve. It makes pulling the pullstart easier. It will not affect the ignition system. Check the wire connections by unplugging them, brush the male ends with a wire brush, then reconnect them, or at least unplug them and replug them to make a better connection. Check wires for any breaks. Unplug and replug the CDI box too. It is usually an easy fix like that.

I have found these pullstart only models are very reliable and the electrical system is easier to troubleshoot than the other models.

bigworm626
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Justenough,
Thx for the advice, I will do just that.

bigworm

Dirtcrasher
02-07-2010, 04:31 PM
They use decompression for easier starting.

Whether it's a pull start, e-start or a kicker, they use decompression to also make life easier on those methods of starting......

bigworm626
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,
If i can't find a decompression cable to use can I just use the bike with out one or is it necessary?

bigworm

fabiodriven
02-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to use it if you don't want.

Dirtcrasher
02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
You don't have to run one at all, just be aware that it's more work on the pull starter rope or whatever starts the engine.

I'll bet that most of the snapped 86 200X kicker shafts are from motors not running the decomp cable.....

Then if the rope isn't the right rope or the knot is wrong, it could break off a bit easier or more often.

For some guys there rope fix only lasts a couple dozen starts........

Frankencelery
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Like others have said, the decompression cable has nothing to do with being able to start it. A lot of people brag that they don't need it, but my buddy had a 200s with no cable and I always felt like I was dislocating my shoulder every time I started it. Do your electrical troubleshooting to get it running, then worry about the decomp later.

The manual posted above gives you specific resistance measurements, so use that. I remember working on a friend's ATC200, and we solved a no spark issue by measuring the resistance of the stator coil. Remember, there's two, the one for the ignition, called the exciter coil, and what they call the "lighting coil". You're not interested in the lighting coil, just the exciter coil. In our case, there was a bad connection, and we were able to solder it back together and avoid purchasing a new stator.

TheRealFatShady
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I replaced the spark plug wire from the coil today with one from my 185s and that got my 200s to have spark again. I kept losing it (many different plugs)

.......But then it wouldn't start and now only gets spark maybe 1 out of every 8 pulls. With the on/off switch removed.

Maybe the decomp. lever is the reason why it seems to difficult to pull either the 200s cord or 185s cord. Thanks for the info

TheRealFatShady
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Just curious, does everyone else with a 200s think that it sits abnormally low? My 110s are noticeably higher.

bigworm626
02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Thx Frankencelery,
I have downloaded the service manual & been reading the chapter on the recoil starter. I have a running 200s on the side, so I may swap parts to try to pinpoint the issue. I will also need to buy a ohm meter from harbor frieght to check the measurements like you said. Thx for the info on what to check. I'll keep you guys posted.

Therealfatshady,
200s due look like they sit low from the back. Have you tryed pushing up your ferrying supports in the back. (the little metal arms under yuor back fenders.)? Mine were rubbing on the tires so pushed the up & it lifted the fenders about an inch or 2. Just a thought.

Thx guys..

TheRealFatShady
02-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Didn't have plastics on. I assume the pieces you are mentioning are the 'triangle' shaped things hanging off the sides of the back section of frame.

I meant the tires seemed smaller, but they're 22x11x8. Seems like they're half the size of the ones on my 110 that are also 22x11x8 ???

bigworm626
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Some tires appear to look bigger then others. I have aset of Carlise tires & the 22x11x8 & because of the aggresive thread pattern they look huge. Do you guys ride alot in the snow out there?

TheRealFatShady
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I just got my first three wheeler a month ago, and the rest are still in the rebuild process. But from what I've seen and heard, (plus my own brief experience) everyone seems to use them for snow. Ice fishing on frozen lakes, plowing even!, and just riding around.

Let me say, even with my little 110, donuts and powersliding on 1" of snow on a parking lot is a real fun perk you get from having a trike and snow. It rides over snow mounds fairly well too.

ATC-Eric
02-10-2010, 12:06 AM
When I first got my 200s, I had a lot of problems with my recoil. I ended up snapping so many ropes, that it was easier just to not run the decompression assembly. Whole reason was so I didn't have to mess with it every time the recoil failed. Hindsight I wish I would have just learned, so the bike would be what it is suppose to be.

It is a little harder to pull without it, but it doesn't need it.

I would say you are probably having a ground issue. Check ALL of your connections, make sure everyting is plugged in, before you start disecting the bike. In most cases the easiest fix is often the problem.

bigworm626
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
ATC-Eric,
Hey congrats on your new score, you can't go wrong with a 200S. I just got one my self about a week ago. Also for almost free. Traded a bunch of bug parts & stuff I didn't need around the house. (Theus is the bike I was having the questions on). Going back to the decompression cable. if I don't have it on the bike, what should do with the valve lifter when I decide to start the bike? Should be left in a certain position, meaning moved up or down?

Thx,
fernando