PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum new to atc's got carb bogging issues

zukonrox
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi, new to the forum and also to atc's. Just picked up a nice 86 200s off craigslist for $250 it didn't run and the guy said it needed a carb clean. I got it home and started messing with it. I cleaned the petcock took the carb apart cleaned it out. Changed the plug and oil. I got it started on the second pull, but idled too high so I adjusted that. If you give it any more gas than 1/8 throttle it will bog and die! With the choke on you can give it maybe 1/4 throttle but when its warm and choke off only 1/8. It does idle good and doesn't die if you just let it idle

Any ideas??

rickybudz
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Check pilot setting! I am a Yamaha rider, and my pilot is is two turns out from seat. I am not sure about Honda carbs. Someone will know here!

zukonrox
02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Check pilot setting! I am a Yamaha rider, and my pilot is is two turns out from seat. I am not sure about Honda carbs. Someone will know here!

Thats the only thing I didnt touch the manual said not to adjust that because its set at the factory. Maybe I should have taken that out and cleaned that.

rickybudz
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Thats the only thing I didnt touch the manual said not to adjust that because its set at the factory. Maybe I should have taken that out and cleaned that.

You never know what the person had done before you! I like to tear everything apart and set it myself, so I know! Like I said, Pull the pilot out and clean it with parts cleaner,if you have compressed air, spray it real good! Put it back in. screw it all the way down, when it just hits bottom. Unsrew it two full turns back. See what that does for you! After that you should be able to adjust idle from there! Hope this helps. Let us know! Also Welcome to the board!

MonroeMike
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the board.

Read this, it may help.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?23819-Your-carburetor-is-FINE!!-Carb-cleaning-101

zukonrox
02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome! So I took the carb back off for a more thural cleaning well Im guessing the guy before me screwed up the pilot screw because theres no spring or O ring in there and also looks like the tip is bent. Looks like thats my problem. What do you guys think?

I think I will just buy a new carb off ebay for $25 for that amount I dont mind spending for something new.

zukonrox
02-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Just talked to my buddy he has a good carb that needs a cleaning, hes just going to give it to me I will let everyone know what happends later today.

Thats a good write up thanks http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...b-cleaning-101

Mr_RPM
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
ummm, it only idles and wont rev up, and it gets better with the choke. my reaction is the main jet in the carb is clogged with debris. screw it out and make sure u can see light going threw the little hole (hold up to a light) if not then spray it down with carb cleaner and maybe gently blow some air threw. thats my first though rather then all this mixture screw adjustment stuff. just a thought, worth looking at if u havent all ready

rickybudz
02-06-2010, 06:21 PM
ummm, it only idles and wont rev up, and it gets better with the choke. my reaction is the main jet in the carb is clogged with debris. screw it out and make sure u can see light going threw the little hole (hold up to a light) if not then spray it down with carb cleaner and maybe gently blow some air threw. thats my first though rather then all this mixture screw adjustment stuff. just a thought, worth looking at if u havent all ready

So you mean to tell me a bent pilot jet and missing o ring and spring is O.K. You know all that mixture adjustment screw stuff is what make's the carb work!

zukonrox
02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
So you mean to tell me a bent pilot jet and missing o ring and spring is O.K. You know all that mixture adjustment screw stuff is what make's the carb work!

X2

I may be new to atc's but have a very good mechanics background since I was 14. This is def the problem!! Thanks for all the help everyone. I will keep you posted.

Mr_RPM
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM

lol, i didnt read that. haha i totally skipped over that bit of info. i was just going off of the first bit that was said and like your first 2 posts. sorry i apologize

zukonrox
02-07-2010, 03:38 PM
lol, i didnt read that. haha i totally skipped over that bit of info. i was just going off of the first bit that was said and like your first 2 posts. sorry i apologize

Thats cool I hate reading threw all the posts too! So I went and got a spar carb from my buddy last night. I cleaned it out put it on and gas is leaking where the bowl meets the carb. So I take it all apart again to see whats up and the gasket looked good. I put it together again mount it on the bike same dang thing leaking gas from where I can tell, the bowl meets the carb. Whatever!!! I bought a new carb on ebay for $35.00 shipped. Hopefully away with my problems and on with riding. I will let everyone know later in the week when I get it going and post some pix of my new toy. Thanks everyone

audioworks04
02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Are you sure this isnt the fuel/air screw that you are refering to. The pilot should just screw into the carb in the bowl section of it and should not be adjustable, just like the main. The fuel air screw will definitly not work correctly with a bent tip, misssing o-ring, or missing spring. These are all integral parts. I would buy a carb rebuild kit and keep the carb that you already have. You never know if the next carb you buy will have the same issues that this one does. A rebuild kit should come with all new seals, gaskets, and normally some jets and a f/a adjustment.
The only "carbs" that have adjustable pilot screws are not actually carburators, they are fuel metering systems and not normally used in larger four stroke carburators. These fuel metering systems use a high and low speed adjustment and sometimes a mid range also. Normally used on small two stroke motors and older jet skis.

Mr_RPM
02-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I had my atc110 do the same thing, i had a trx 90 in a bucket (totally disassembled) so i stole the float bowl and it bolted right up and works great, lol my petcock was screwed up is why, which caused it to leak from where the bowl and carb meet up. (the 110 has a petcock on the carb, rather then on the tank....its stupid but whatever)

zukonrox
02-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Are you sure this isnt the fuel/air screw that you are refering to. The pilot should just screw into the carb in the bowl section of it and should not be adjustable, just like the main. The fuel air screw will definitly not work correctly with a bent tip, misssing o-ring, or missing spring. These are all integral parts. I would buy a carb rebuild kit and keep the carb that you already have. You never know if the next carb you buy will have the same issues that this one does. A rebuild kit should come with all new seals, gaskets, and normally some jets and a f/a adjustment.
The only "carbs" that have adjustable pilot screws are not actually carburators, they are fuel metering systems and not normally used in larger four stroke carburators. These fuel metering systems use a high and low speed adjustment and sometimes a mid range also. Normally used on small two stroke motors and older jet skis.

I got the CLYMER book in front of me and clearly shows the pilot screw assembly well the one I pulled when cleaning is missing parts. The carb is brand new that I ordered, should be a plug and play thats what the guys feedback says!

Mr_RPM
02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
"Originally Posted by audioworks04 View Post
The only "carbs" that have adjustable pilot screws are not actually carburators, they are fuel metering systems and not normally used in larger four stroke carburators. These fuel metering systems use a high and low speed adjustment and sometimes a mid range also. Normally used on small two stroke motors and older jet skis."

I got the CLYMER book in front of me and clearly shows the pilot screw assembly well the one I pulled when cleaning is missing parts. The carb is brand new that I ordered, should be a plug and play thats what the guys feedback says!

i have a feeling theres just a vocab misunderstanding, im sure the mixture screw has a term using pilot is some books and is confused with pilot jet, 2 diff things but people use close words to call them, i believe audioworks is right when they are talkin bout the "fuel/air screw" but use a different turm to call it. idk maybe thats where the confusion is coming from. because yeah the pilot jet should not be adjustable and is simply screwed in.
maybe im just adding confusion :lol: hahaha

rickybudz
02-07-2010, 06:14 PM
The pilot jet is adjustable and is inside the carb bowl. The pilot screw is on the out side of carb! The pilot jet is what I was originally talking about. If you adjust this correctly, of course with a straight jet(not bent) and o ring, plus spring. You should be O.K. The carb kit is really the answer. Getting another used carb, you may just be taking on previous owners problems. Just get what you need for $15 bucks, a carb kit. This should solve all problems!

zukonrox
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM
The pilot jet is adjustable and is inside the carb bowl. The pilot screw is on the out side of carb! The pilot jet is what I was originally talking about. If you adjust this correctly, of course with a straight jet(not bent) and o ring, plus spring. You should be O.K. The carb kit is really the answer. Getting another used carb, you may just be taking on previous owners problems. Just get what you need for $15 bucks, a carb kit. This should solve all problems!

Yea your right on the money!! Thats the one that is bent on the outside under the bowl. Just to clear things up I bought a brand new carb off ebay. After shipping its 33 bux, I say good price to get rid of a headache.

Man does anyone ready threw the posts LOL :wondering:wondering:wondering:wondering:wondering :wondering

Mr_RPM
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
good luck with the new carb, it will either work perfect or be even more problems than what u got now. haha damn chinese knock offs, better off going with OEM and getting the rebuild kit

zukonrox
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
good luck with the new carb, it will either work perfect or be even more problems than what u got now. haha damn chinese knock offs, better off going with OEM and getting the rebuild kit

Bought from a guy that had good feedback on the 200s carb, said NO ADJUSTMENTS RUNS AWESOME stuff like that. Think I will be good. I hope

rickybudz
02-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Hope it works out for ya. You know the original OEM carbs were also made in china, so there all china crap in theory! You just need to find on without problems, is all! Once you get ahold of one without problems and proper maintenance, you should be fine!