PDA

View Full Version : atc 185s problems

trimoto55
02-06-2010, 03:43 AM
So i was out in the snow riding for about a half hour and all of the sudden trike started to sputter and then it shut off. It starts right back up but after i give it gas it shuts off. I recently cleaned the carb twice so im pretty sure its not dirty. The trike is gettin fuel out the pet cock i checked for that. The air cleaner on it is brand new so i know its not clogged. I just dont understand how it would run perfect for a half hour then die.Starts back up then when gas is hit it dies. I was thinking maybe something with the choke?

trimoto55
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
update-so i went out there this morning and started it and everything is fine? This is the second snow storm in a row that this trike did this anyone know where to start? I just bought this 2 months ago

shortline10
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Sounds like you have a piece of trash in the carb float bowl , its time to clean it one more time . Put a inline fuel filter and no more problems .

trimoto55
02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
i'll try that .....when i started it this morn it ran fine after it got warm it started to sputter but after riding it like that for about 5 min it cleaned up and is running perfectly fine this thing has like a mind of its own

rickybudz
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Sounds like you have a piece of trash in the carb float bowl , its time to clean it one more time . Put a in-line fuel filter and no more problems .

That in-line filter is the ticket, they only cost a few bucks and less hassle and costly in the end. I'd rather put a new filter on, then constantly keep takin carb off!

Vealmonkey
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I would keep a close eye on the ignition system. You don't say what year 185s, but you could be gettting moisture in your igniton. You may want to check your wiring connection and make sure they are nice and tight. Heck, you could even wrap them with electrical tape afther you check the connection. Make sure your CDI cover is on nice and snug ant that it has it's proper gaskets so no moisture is getting in there. Also you may want to check where your ground connection is. Maybe check your handlebar swtich too and make sure something isn't grounding out there or getting moisture into there. Just go over the trike real well. Hope you find the problem. If you do find it, let us know what happened.

trimoto55
02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
its an 82 atc 185s, i think that something is getting wet making it short out because it only does it when its snowing