PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a 225 DR, starter problems.

nitroman2200
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Just picked up my first trike tonight, managed to score an '86 Yamaha 225DR for a good price. Runs great, looks good for it's age, only one problem--will not start with the electric start. Pull starts fine, starts on first or second pull, but will not fire with the starter. Turns over fine, but appears to have a weak spark while using the starter?? Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to start. Thanks much

runaway
02-06-2010, 02:02 AM
hello
welcome to the board! it could be just as simple as a ground or worse,heres a link to the manual http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf
mine has the same problem but its farther down my list. so if you find the prob post it please.

johnny5
02-06-2010, 02:22 AM
If it turn over with the electric start but isn't turning over fast most likely your brushes in your starter are bad you can get used starters on Ebay starting at $20 that's the route I would choose.... Good luck

Frankencelery
02-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Yeah, my 225dx is exactly the same. The starter turns over, but very slowly. There's no chance of starting it cold in the winter months. In the summer it starts ok. Can you buy just brushes for it?

MonroeMike
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the board.

My DX did the same thing when I first got it, worked better after cleaning all the connections.

fordnut79@hotma
02-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I had this problem back in the day. It was the shaft bushing in the starter that was worn and would kick the rotor 'out of field' so to speak ,causing it to spin slowly.

nitroman2200
02-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like I have a few things to check!!

unclejemima
02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
I had this problem back in the day. It was the shaft bushing in the starter that was worn and would kick the rotor 'out of field' so to speak ,causing it to spin slowly.

How did you fix the shaft bushing? Did you just buy a whole new starter?

yammer hammer
02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
make sure the fuel is off, cuase if the fuel is on and you slush it all around it will flood it some easy, so when your done driving it make sure you turn the fuel off and then it will start.

nitroman2200
02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Finally had a chance to take a look at the problem. Removed and checked the starter, spun just fine, brushes looked good. Checked over the fuel system to make sure it was not flooding itself as suggested by yammer hammer, that looked good as well. Read through the Clymer manual thanks to runaway, found that the charge coil (dealer called it the source coil) was reading a higher resistance than it should. Replaced the coil and it fires right off with the push of the button--life is great again. For any of you that are having this problem, there is good instructions in the Clymer manual on how the check the coil, and it's simple to replace. The dealer where I got the new coil from said this is a very common problem, and the coil does not have to read that far off to cause it to not function properly, mine was only off by about 100 ohms, should have been 381 ohms, the bad one read around 470 ohms. Now I just got to get it cleaned up and find some new decals for it and we're in business! Thanks for all of the suggestions and help!!

Kevo225dx
02-18-2010, 05:18 PM
nitroman2200

How do you change it? Where is it located?

Thanks

runaway
02-18-2010, 10:57 PM
the link to the manual is earlier in the post kevo