PDA

View Full Version : 200S still running rich

malpa10
02-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Hello all, I really hope y'all can help me. I revived a 1984 200s, but I cannot lean it out (plug is pitch black).
I bought a new carburator online, and installed it. I also bought a new CDI thingy. Now "the beast" starts in one pull. Went for a ride, but noticed that it boggs down a little at high speed. Pulled the plug and it was pitch black. i read on this forum to adjust the mix screw, i did both ways, and no luck. Believe it or not, I even took the mix screw out completely left it out and took the 200S around the block, and still a rich plug. I don't know what else to do. I took apart the carb, and I can read on the Main jet needle the numbers: "HG26". Any help....this trike is 100% stock.

Russell 350X
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Where's the throttle needle set at? Stock setting is the middle notch. Main jet should be a 98?, pilot should be a 38. What brand of carb is it.

MonroeMike
02-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Read this, it may help.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

juggaloclownz18
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Worn jets, dirty air filter, float level being off, can all contribute to these issues... Did you get an OEM carb or a Chinese knockoff? I just got a chinese knockoff carb on eGay and the float level was off a bit, may need to be adjusted

Also is your air cleaner clean and oiled?

malpa10
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. Yes this is one of the chinese knock offs. I'll take a look at the float level and adjust if necessary. The filter is a UNI filter, and i dont think it needs oil.....or does it?....But do these, lead to a rich mixture? How can I lean this carb out?
Thanks again

AutoXer
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes any foam filter (uni) needs oil.

Mr_RPM
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
you can buy a can of spray on airfilter oil at any dealer or online, but thats not gonna help lean it out, but keep dirt out of your engine. to help lean it out if everything is adjusted right is take the airbox lid off, that will help lean it out and u might notice a bit of power gain (only downside is mud and water can get in easier) also make sure the choke is off (yeah i know, but still check it lol u never know) basically make sure your intake is not obstructed by anything (mice debris in any tubing). but this is after knowing your carb setting are all correct. personanally on my higher performance machines i run them without the airbox lid, but my mudders i run them with the lid on to keep mud from globbing on your filter. also look for aftermarket airbox lids with little filter holes in them if your worried about mud

just make sure u have the right jet sizes, needle clip is in correct setting and air screw is adjusted correctly

MonroeMike
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
How can I lean this carb out?
Thanks again

Try raising the needle clip.

daniel_250r
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
check the actual jet sizes my china carb came with huge jets, a rich main will have trickle down effects on all throttle positions

DJG2332
02-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm having the same problem with my '85 200s. I don't know alot about carbs but I'm starting to think it could be that the float could be set wrong. If you get it leaned out could you let me know what you came up with.

thanks Dan