PDA

View Full Version : sandblast and powdercoat rear axle...?

unclejemima
02-01-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm taking my rear end apart this week to do the bearings, and while I was at it I figured I might as well spruce up the axle.

FYI, 1984 YTM225DX...

Its a bit rusted, so I was thinking of getting it sandblasted...will that damage the axle or make it rust more?

What about powder coating? Would the powder coating plug the splines on the axle? Has anyone done this?

Thanks kindly!

leviblue
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
i did it a year ago on i my r...looked good and they cuy the coating at the splines. though it looked good, hard woods riding tore it up and bending the axle didn't help... should of saved the $$$ and got my seat done

harryredtrike
02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
i'd just sand and shine then clear coat it.if its ridden at all, paint wont hold up that long

jensenracing77
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
X2 on the sand and clear coat. that is what i did with my stock axles and looked great. if it starts to look bad it is easy to do again. i put the bike on a stand and start it, then put it in gear and let the axle turn as you hold the sand paper to it. may not be smart to do it this way but just be careful. then there is the option of bead blasting it with a fine bead and having it zinc coated like they were originally. that won't last much longer than the clear though.