PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R Front Axle

tufftoy
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I was going to change the bearings out on the front hub, but the axle will not come out. The spacer on the rotor side of the hub seems to be the culprit. Right now I have it soaking in PB Blaster, and will do that for a few days. I assume that there are a few methods out there that have been used to get it off...which do you think would be best?

-Soak with PB Blaster or diesel and try to beat it out
-Take it to a machine shop have them press it out
-Soak, heat, hammer...repeat

Thanks!

tufftoy
01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Oh...sorry forgot to mention that I loosened the axle all the way, took the block off, and pulled the whole hub and axle assembly out. Now just trying to separate the axle from the hub.

audioworks04
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow never heard of the front axle sticking. If you are going to replace the bearings and seals anyways heat might be your best friend. Other than that pb blaster is the best I've ever use as far as penetrating oil.

JohnR.
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
+1 on the heat. A regular propane torch is often not enough though. The cans that look just like the propane ones but yellow are MAP gas and they will get the steel to cherry red pretty quickly. You're not supposed to use a regular propane nozzle with them and I never would but I've heard that they work.

John

tufftoy
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Well I finally got the axle out...but I would up having to cut it out. Everything was so rusted together that even a press wouldn't budge it. But since I had to cut it, I had to cut through the inner collar that goes on the axle. I need one now and of course they are no longer made. If anyone has an inner collar that they would be willing to let go of I would really really appreciate it...of course I will pay for it too! This is the part that I need:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e282/Tufftoy/Yamaha/Axle.jpg

Thanks guys!