PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx questions

rodneyplaisted
01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
i recently bought a 1985 250sx. the kickstart almost never catches does anyone know exactly what that would be? also when im riding it and really give it some it seems like the rearend or tranny makes a crunching noise but olny for a second and not all the time. any ideas what my problem could be?

matt86200x
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Check your rear hubs, if you drive long enough with them loose they will get stripped. Might also wreck the axle if you leave it and abuse it.

Frankencelery
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure about the crunching noise, but as for the kickstart, there is a one way bearing inside the kickstart assembly that has worn out. This is common on the SX. I had the same problem, and I ordered it and replaced the part. Now the kick starter grabs every time.

You can tell if it's the one way bearing. When you shut down the engine, if you hear a whirring noise that continues after the engine stops, that's the problem.

rodneyplaisted
01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
The 250 also when you shift down from neutral it goes right into reverse without pulling the cable. the cable feels frozen and i have a new one i think it might be the problem. anyone else had this problem?

Tecate250
01-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Um the 250 2 strokes dont have a one way bearing and they seem to go as well. I was told that it is the smaller kicker spring has wore out.

Dirtcrasher
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
All you need is that bearing, it's in the centrifical clutch....

If it went bad for too long, you also need the piece it grabs onto.

Piece o cake.......

keister
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM
You can tell if it's the one way bearing. When you shut down the engine, if you hear a whirring noise that continues after the engine stops, that's the problem.

I always wondered what that noise was. Good info. Where's that thumbs up button??

MudBug
02-02-2010, 08:33 PM
The 250 also when you shift down from neutral it goes right into reverse without pulling the cable. the cable feels frozen and i have a new one i think it might be the problem. anyone else had this problem?

check on the right side of the engine just above the footpeg, on the back/bottom of the engine. there is a lever it is for reverse. the PO of my bike didnt buy a new cable so he just drove a stick under it so it was always engaged. check for things like that