PDA

View Full Version : 250r kickback

Twilight
01-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Okay so it isnt a ATC250r, but a trx250r, guy here is selling one and it has a problem that I saw tonight.

KICKBACK! No starting, clean white and blue spark, plenty of compression (170psi), carb is clean, and no holes or tears in intake, reeds are also good, nice and tight.

Im thinking ignition or timing? he said he busted the case and it ran after that O_O, but when he rebuilt the engine it started one day then the next all it did was this kickback thing. I was there and we went through all the above.

Im not going to buy, but he is giving 200 bucks to someone that can solve the issue... and I need it, lol.

Any suggestions?

Twilight
01-29-2010, 01:35 AM
oh it did a huge POOF once when he first tried... like it fired but didnt keep going.

jeffatc250r
01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a classic case of sheered flywheel key to me...Its a 3 dollar fix if you have the flywheel puller already, 20 if you dont.

beets442
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Does it have a compression release?

Erics350x
01-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a classic case of sheered flywheel key to me...Its a 3 dollar fix if you have the flywheel puller already, 20 if you dont.

x2.................

jeffatc250r
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Also when you put it back together, zing the flywheel nut with a little air to ensure its tight, just be careful not to strip the threads off the end of the crank, a good air gun has more than enough power to strip threads. Be sure to get an OEM key and not some slug that looks close enough down at your local hardware store.

mmiguy2103
01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Also when you put it back together, zing the flywheel nut with a little air to ensure its tight, just be careful not to strip the threads off the end of the crank, a good air gun has more than enough power to strip threads. Be sure to get an OEM key and not some slug that looks close enough down at your local hardware store.

or torque it down to the spec listed in the service manual. i would never use a impact gun to tighten anything down on a engine. very dumb idea. as long at the nut is still in good condition you can peen over the edge to lock it in place .

good luck

Billy Golightly
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Sheared flywheel key or out of position pulse generator. Could have the wrong CDI box on it too.

Twilight
01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
You all hit the nail on the head, the flywheel was tight and wouldnt budge, but when I took it off... NOTHING, apparently he skipped that part of the manual!

Said his thanks and I gave him the websites address... thanks guys =)

hoser
03-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Please, Hoser! Keep it to p.m.'s. Not trolling.