PDA

View Full Version : Rear diff bearings on a Yamaha, is it possible?

unclejemima
01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I just ordered a full set of bearings for my 1984 225DX...front wheel, rear axle, swingarm, shock and differential bearings. I'm found info on doing all but the rear diff bearing. Has anyone ever done this? According to the Clymers manual..."refer to a Yamaha dealer"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/yamahashaft-1.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my concern if I get the dealer to do it...
1- The Yamaha dealer in town has 14 year old kids working as tech's, whom barely can change a spark plug.
2- They will learn on my clock, AKA, if I bring them the diff, they will take 6 hours figuring out how to do it.
3- They will learn on my clock, and it will not be done right causing me time and money that they will not admit to.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I was just going to dive in and take it apart, then put it back together the same way it came apart but after reading what the Clymers manual has to say, I'm slightly worried... What sort of "special tools" can this require? My buddy is a full blown auto mechanic and heavy duty mechanic, so perhaps he would have the tools?

Nobody has a copy of the Yamaha Factory Service manual by chance, not just the Clymers manual?

MonroeMike
01-29-2010, 12:30 AM
I have the Yamahauler service manual with the DX supplement.

unclejemima
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Has anyone ever done the rear diff bearing on any trike before???