PDA

View Full Version : 2 different dirty carbs...day and night difference!

unclejemima
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Just wondering,

I have 2 Yamaha trikes I'm working on. Both have the same carb, same model year. Both have been parked for 5+ years. Both were not properly stored.

When dissembling them, I assumed they would be identically dirty inside...here is what I found.

The one carb had 1/16" thick yellow chalky film in the float bowl and all the bottom components. This yellow chalk was very tough to get off, and there is still a residue in the float bowl that I can not seem to get off (even with soaking in carb cleaner)

The other carb had NO film what so-ever in the carb...almost greasy inside. There is what looked like muskeg (very dirty) inside, but the carb washed up like brand new very quickly with almost no effort. There is no residue or yellow chalk that was in the other carb.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any info as to what could have caused the yellow chalk in the one carb, but not in the other. Was one perhaps running premium the other regular? Could this have caused a difference?

Thanks for the info,
-mark

Thorpe
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Condensation/water in the chalky carb... (just my guess)

rdlsz24
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
They both had gas left in them? Or was the cleaner one drained before it sat? I have seen the chalky crap you talk about and it is not fun.

Rob

audioworks04
01-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I just started using evaporust to soak my carbs in and it works great. I just strip them down to nothing and drop it in there. All the jets and float and other small parts I soak in just carb cleaner, but not the O-rings. My buddy just bought a 1980 honda express that has been sitting in a barn for about 2 years. The carb was full of the same chalky yellow stuff and it cleaned it right off. You can buy it at Tractor Supply.

unclejemima
01-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Cool, evaporust. I'll see if I can find any.

Both carbs were stored with fuel in the float bowl.

Yes, that chalky crap is horrible. I wonder if the grade of gasoline makes any difference?