PDA

View Full Version : atc 200x 1984 front sproket striped need some help

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
so i was drivin my atc200x few days ago all studden when i was driving it it would'nt move so i thoght i blew up the bottom end. untill i found it was spinning on the counter shaft :( it was just spinning

the sproken was stuck on the counter shaft cause of the damage so i had to cut it of the shaft but now i need to know if i put a new sproket on the front will it just spin or wil it be good all the clips are broken to

dose any one have a pic of a 1984 atc200x with out the small sproket on the counter shaft cause i need to know if mine is striped.

ill get a pic soon

any help will do
thanks curtis

harryredtrike
01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
a pic of yours would do more.the counter shaft should be harder than the sprocket.if the flutes are good all the way in with a circular indention at the outer edge of the counter shaft your golden

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 04:52 PM
a pic of yours would do more.the counter shaft should be harder than the sprocket.if the flutes are good all the way in with a circular indention at the outer edge of the counter shaft your golden

ok i got some pics
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zpjosl.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/n2ydso.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/6xusuv.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/t8klls.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/jhxwra.jpg

shortline10
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Looks gone to me . Time for a new tranny shaft .

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Looks gone to me . Time for a new tranny shaft .

:( really ?

rdlsz24
01-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah you have nothing for the sprocket to grab on to. How does this happen? lol

Rob

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
how big of job is it to put a new counter shaft in it

shortline10
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
how big of job is it to put a new counter shaft in it
For me about a 3 hour job that's if their are no surprises along the way . Get a manual and its not that bad .

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
For me about a 3 hour job that's if their are no surprises along the way . Get a manual and its not that bad .

alright so its a big job then an i got a manual for it to. thanks for all the help

oldskool83
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
This happens when the sprocket is not tight, ive never seen anything this bad. and this is the exact reason when i buy a used bike i tear it down to the frame and check everything and rebuild / inspect it so this does not happen.

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
This happens when the sprocket is not tight, ive never seen anything this bad. and this is the exact reason when i buy a used bike i tear it down to the frame and check everything and rebuild / inspect it so this does not happen.

ye from now on im gunna do this

fabiodriven
01-27-2010, 07:19 PM
:wondering Ouch! That sucks....

racer....X
01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess thats wat my 185 looked like before the previous owner welded the sprocket to the shaft.

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 07:39 PM
would anybuddy like to help me find a counter shaft for a 1984 honda 200x

inv3ctiv3
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
It's not hard to get a manual, the manuals are posted all over here.....

I also may have an extra tranny shaft I'll send you for free, I just gotta check if I have it still.

curtis slawson
01-27-2010, 09:13 PM
omg tha
It's not hard to get a manual, the manuals are posted all over here.....

I also may have an extra tranny shaft I'll send you for free, I just gotta check if I have it still.

ya i bought a manual for it. would be very good if you could find that . Im having no luck finding one :(

3wheeledjunkie
01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Break out the ol' welder. LOL

thebutelr
01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
I had the same thing happen to my 350x. It wasn't as bad as yours and I was lucky to be able to create a spacer out of an old front sprocket. I ground down an old front sprocket to have the outside diameter clear the chain and ground the width just enough to barely clear the retaining clip. This has pushed the good sunstar sprocket on the good section of the splines. You might be able to get a new good brand front sprocket and create a spacer like I did to push the sprocket on the remaining good splines. Worth a shot.

4cylinders
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
hey, 2 old sprockets, and 1 new sprocket. cut them down, bolt or weld them together.

inv3ctiv3
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I'll go look in the garage for it in about an hour and get back to you.

rickybudz
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Wow! Looks like some of that sludge all over could of fell onto a loose chain. From there it just continued to take it's course, until it spun out. That's just my opinion, not to mention all those fine metal shavings I think I see! Brings me closer to original assumption! Hows this sound so far? With a routine maintenance inspections maybe in this case, some parts cleaner here and there. I believe this could of been avoided! Sorry to see your dilemma, looks like you have a little work ahead of you!

curtis slawson
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow! Looks like some of that sludge all over could of fell onto a loose chain. From there it just continued to take it's course, until it spun out. That's just my opinion, not to mention all those fine metal shavings I think I see! Brings me closer to original assumption! Hows this sound so far? With a routine maintenance inspections maybe in this case, some parts cleaner here and there. I believe this could of been avoided! Sorry to see your dilemma, looks like you have a little work ahead of you!

i just picked this atc200x few weeks ago eveything was good

rickybudz
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
I understand. This has been all my cases! I bring back from the dead, what others just shake their heads at! I think that in it self is the funnest part! Good luck, and post progress. These people love that stuff!

Mosh
01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I have done a bunch of these in different machines, including the 200x's.
It is far from a 2-3 hour job.
You have to pull the engine, tear the top end off, and split the cases to do this job.
Considering it takes about 1-2 hours just to get the engine out of the frame, it will be quite the lengthy process, plus you will need a complete engine gasket kit.
A complete engine teardown to the trans is a couple hours of work in itself.

curtis slawson
01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I have done a bunch of these in different machines, including the 200x's.
It is far from a 2-3 hour job.
You have to pull the engine, tear the top end off, and split the cases to do this job.
Considering it takes about 1-2 hours just to get the engine out of the frame, it will be quite the lengthy process, plus you will need a complete engine gasket kit.
A complete engine teardown to the trans is a couple hours of work in itself.

ya i was looking at the manuel for it look's a little hard but i think i can do it .
biggest problem is i cant find a (conter shaft) for it been looking all day an still nothing :(

rickybudz
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Sucks you live in Canada. Here in the chicago's Craigs List their is one for $400. It would be easy to get him down to probly $300. Engine is seized, all types of stuff messed up, but in your case. It would of been worth it!
google this sale-rqfzv-1574100346@craigslist.org

rickybudz
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Sucks you live in Canada. Here in the chicago's Craigs List their is one for $400. It would be easy to get him down to probly $300. Engine is seized, all types of stuff messed up, but in your case. It would of been worth it!
google this sale-rqfzv-1574100346@craigslist.org

O.K. or just hit the blue link! Dah!

inv3ctiv3
01-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I got one, PM me your address and I'll send it out tomorrow or Monday.

curtis slawson
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I got one, PM me your address and I'll send it out tomorrow or Monday.

thanks man i pm'd you

RodKnockRacing
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
man that sucks you are also gonna have to get a fly wheel puller which u can get them threw dennis kirk and I find it easiest to use an impact gun tho get the nut off of the oil pump then the clutch lock nut is a castle nut which you need the proper socket for that or you can put a pair of vise grips on the countershaft to hold the clutch from spinning and knock it loose with a soft chisel just figured id tell you what you where up against good luck man

curtis slawson
01-28-2010, 10:38 PM
man that sucks you are also gonna have to get a fly wheel puller which u can get them threw dennis kirk and I find it easiest to use an impact gun tho get the nut off of the oil pump then the clutch lock nut is a castle nut which you need the proper socket for that or you can put a pair of vise grips on the countershaft to hold the clutch from spinning and knock it loose with a soft chisel just figured id tell you what you where up against good luck man

thanks for the tips man. im gunna go to princness auto to get a flywheel puller got one there for my 1983 honda xr 80 .

rickybudz
01-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Hey inv3.... You are one cool dude to help someone like that. Right on!

seadoo650
01-29-2010, 09:50 AM
thanks for the tips man. im gunna go to princness auto to get a flywheel puller got one there for my 1983 honda xr 80 .

Don't waste the coin on a flywheel puller. They very seldom work on these machines. Simply take your front axle out. It will come out easily by putting a jack under the front of the motor and getting the front end up so there is no pressure on it. Loosen the four nuts that clamp the axle to the fork. Remove the axle from the hub. The axle will thread into the flywheel and all you have to do is hold the flywheel with your hand and pop it a few times with an impact. It will come right off. Also be cautious when putting the flywheel back on. If you over torque it you will snap the bolt. Learned that from experience. I've done several of these motors so if ya have any questions please feel free to ask.

curtis slawson
01-29-2010, 02:11 PM

ye thanks for the tips ill pm u if i run into some problem's witch i hope i don't.

inv3ctiv3
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey inv3.... You are one cool dude to help someone like that. Right on!

You have no idea how many times people have helped me out, Devilman just shipped me some runner fenders and I can't thank him enough! Just returning the favor, but correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to split the cases to get the shaft out? I am taking it out of an engine I split that was blown up so it's easy for me to get out but I think you have to split the case....

curtis slawson
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
You have no idea how many times people have helped me out, Devilman just shipped me some runner fenders and I can't thank him enough! Just returning the favor, but correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to split the cases to get the shaft out? I am taking it out of an engine I split that was blown up so it's easy for me to get out but I think you have to split the case....

yes u have to gotta slipt the engine to get it out

inv3ctiv3
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Ok well I also have a spare engine out of my old 85 200x I'd sell for $50 + shipping if you'd rather do that

curtis slawson
01-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok well I also have a spare engine out of my old 85 200x I'd sell for $50 + shipping if you'd rather do that

only kinda need the counter shaft