PDA

View Full Version : YTM225DX Spark Plug...Dealer told me 3 different sizes...

unclejemima
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Anyone know what the correct spark plug is for a YTM225DX? Its a 1984. From what I can tell it should a NGK D7EA, but the Yamaha dealer does not seem to know either. They quoted 3 different plugs, and every time I asked "are you sure" he would say..."wait, its actually a..." and give me a different number.

I walked away with a DR7EA...the manual says D7EA. Is this the same plug? The "R" in DR7EA is just Resistor I think, but does that make a difference?

Thanks!

rdlsz24
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone know what the correct spark plug is for a YTM225DX? Its a 1984. the manual says D7EA.

You answered your own question there. Yes the R means resistor, which is good for autos with onboard electronics http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqresistor.asp?nav=31200&country=US.

You should be fine using it

Rob

unclejemima
01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Yes the R means resistor, which is good for autos with onboard electronics

You should be fine using it

Thanks.

So I gather using a non-R plug in a machine that is spec'ed for an Resistor type plug could cause problems, but using a R plug in a machine that was never spec'ed for it will not be a problem as the resistor does not change the spark or anything, just a safeguard for on-board electronics.

Take care,

unclejemima
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
I walked away with a DR7EA...the manual says D7EA

Ok, so now I pulled the plug from the machine, and it had in it a DR7ES...

The DR7ES and DR7EA look identical...anyone know what the difference is?