PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Honda ATC185s Wont stay running!

BrianDye
01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Just picked up a 1982 Honda ATC185s last night for 300 bucks, guy started it RIGHT up with one pull, I drove it through my neighborhood for about 10 mins, then back. Ran great, shifted great, GREAT WOT response.

Later on, drove it to the next neighborhood, 2 miles down the road, ran great, shut it off for 10 minutes at my gf's. Started it, drove around for about 5 minutes and noticed it popped a few times when i slowed down to turn; hen it stalled, (I let off the throttle all the way)

It took about 10 pulls to restart it, drove it 1000 feet, and stalled AS i was driving, about half throttle. WOULD NOT START to save my life for about 5 mins.

Now when it does it, I gotta wait 5 mins or so, then starts right up, and drives about a 3rd of a mile before it dies. No matter how much throttle I try to save it with its already decided its dying.

I talked to my uncle, he said check the spark plug, CDI box, and drain the carb with the screw at the bottom, and run a half tank of premium through it.

Anyone else have this problem before?

Heres a pic of it btw:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z217/brian123dye/SANY0636.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z217/brian123dye/SANY0638.jpg

Its also taken me over 25 minutes to post this thread...I hope this sites not always so laggy lol!

muddog
01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
dont bother with the premium the only difference between premium and regular is octane level (knock resistance) that wont make a difference unless you are running high comp.

MonroeMike
01-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Is the gas tank vent open?

BrianDye
01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Yea, the vents in the "ON" position, fuel lines on, how does the choke work...(What is open and what is choked?) It seems to only start with the choke all the way up, and runs like poopoo with it in any other position

Your in Monroe too? Sweet...Im out in Brest Bay.

MonroeMike
01-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Up is choked.

There's a owner's manual here.

http://campaigns.hondampe.com.au/Motorcycles/manuals/atv/own82atc185s.pdf

BrianDye
01-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Okay, im assuming its gotta be carb issues, as it will only run fully choked....
I just sat here and read that whole manual haha.

I would like to install the "DC Kit" as they called it, Cant I just mount a battery, and find the +, - for the headlight and wire it into that? I would like to install a brigher setup on there, along with an LED taillight...

MonroeMike
01-26-2010, 02:03 AM
PM'd you some info.

UlsterATCFan
01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
Before you start tearing into it make sure theres PLENTY of petrol in the tank and the fuel lines are unblocked. The fact that it was running OK when you got it points to something simple

harryredtrike
01-26-2010, 05:28 AM
i'd check fuel flow also.is the tank rusty?

BrianDye
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Nope, no rusty tank; I dont believe theres any clogs, but thats all a possibility, Ill check all the basics today when I get home from school later.

The thing though, for who said it ran fine when I first rode it...it was cold, and I only rode it for a little over 5 minutes, and when its cold I can usually ride for about 10 to 15 minutes before it starts doing it

MrGiggles
01-26-2010, 09:43 AM
The tank vent's can plug up, have you tried just taking the cap off the tank when it quits to hear if it's sucking in any air?

hoser
01-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok you just bought it time to go through the entire fuel system and leave nothing unchecked.

Sounds like your running out of gas if you wait a few min then it will run again, could be the path from the tank to the carb is restricted, to avoid future problems as I suggested above now is the time to go through the entire fuel system.

Dont blame the CDI in 35+ years of wrenching on ATV's only seen one CDI go bad and it had been modified and not sealed up properly so moisture got into the board, all intermittent spark problems I have found was from a bad connection not bad components.

mopar_man
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
The first thing I ever do when I get a new bike is rebuild the carb. Kits are under $20 shipped.

racer....X
01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
as soon as it dies again, open the carb bowl drain and see if any fuel comes out.There should be a screw in the side of the bowl or a plug in the bottom.

rdlsz24
01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
FYI you have an 83 185s!

Rob

BrianDye
01-27-2010, 12:08 AM
How do you know its an 83?

And you guys are gonna hate me! I got home from school today, started it with one pull, revved it a couple times, and wouldnt rev to high, so I pushed the choke all the way down, and it was very hard to push for a sec, I think it was stuck closed, because when I pushed it all the way down, all the problems were gone! :D Im happy now, I rode it for a good 35 mins today before I had to goto work, and after work, and NO bogging or dying whatsoever :D

I really appreciate everyones help, and suggestions!

Tonight I stripped the decals off the tank, and im gonna slowly strip the thing down to the frame to paint and sand it, and paint all the red to black.

mopar_man
01-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Full choke will do that. I would still strip it down and rebuild it. It only takes about an hour and, like I said, a $20 kit.

BrianDye
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Yea, its weird though cus yesterday, like I think I said in my first post, I tried the choke in EVERY position. It was VERY easy to move though last night, and a little more resistance today, I think it might have been stuck.

Where can I get a rebuild kit?

I wonder if Monroe Motorsports would have em? I need an air filter too, mine would DRIP gunk if you squeezed it

MonroeMike
01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Monroe Motorsports can get the kit.

Don't even bother going into Atomic Powersports for three wheeler parts.

BrianDye
01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Naw that place has never had my buisness anyways. My uncles good friends with Vinnie at MM, so he usually hooks me up when I need something.

Ill head up there this weekend most likely...how much do air filters run?

CrkdLtr
01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
I would like to install the "DC Kit" as they called it, Cant I just mount a battery, and find the +, - for the headlight and wire it into that? I would like to install a brigher setup on there, along with an LED taillight...

Sorry to thread jack, just wanted to know more about this. i was interested in doing the same with my 185s. Would appreciate any info, thx.

rdlsz24
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
How do you know its an 83?

It has front suspension, which was introduced on the 185s for '83, and by the tank decals. Glad you got it running again.

Rob

3wheeledjunkie
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, for sure check the vent on the cap! I was dam close to pulling the engine on my 110 because of a bad gas cap vent. Cleaned carb like 10 times, 4 plugs, and I just so happened to start it one day without the cap on it after the 10th carb clean and I'll be dammed if it didn't run great.

BrianDye
01-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Well im assuming my vent's good, because its runnin like a champ lol. But last night I put it on my jacks, and started stripping for a nice overhaul...

Nothing serious, just alot of sanding, paint, and hopefully new electrical system consisting of a KC or Hella with an HID. Im looking into the new 4 and 7" HID offroading lights at AutoZone, I believe theyre like 60$ a piece, EVERYTHING built in, same size as a KC, with like 5000k HIDs in them.

Im gonna start a thread, with pics, and whatnot all about my trike, and its progress