PDA

View Full Version : Odd Yamaha oil change procedure...?

unclejemima
01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
I've never heard of this before, it even states it in the owners manual.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/oilchange.jpg

Who actually does this. I don't see the point in this because if oil does not flow out of the hole, how in the heck do I "find and correct the cause"

Seems very silly to me.

Does anyone actually do this? Is there a reason for it?

Thanks!

rdlsz24
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
It is to make sure you don't have an oil obstruction and toast your top end.

Rob

MTS
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Some older bikes, (never seen it on a trike) you have to crack the oil filter to bleed the air out of the system (much similar to a cooling system). i would imagin its something along those lines, Or like said above...pretty much to make sure you don't toast your motor.

trizilla
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
the bolt your manual refers to is not in the picture you have there. it is a 10mm head bolt on the cyl head and its where you check oil pressure to the top end. this bolt will appear to go no where and has a copper washer on it.

big yeller
01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
what yamaha is that for id never seen that

unclejemima
01-27-2010, 02:05 AM
It is to make sure you don't have an oil obstruction and toast your top end.

Fair enough, but why would you need to check for an oil obstruction after an oil change??? If I rebuilt the motor, I could see...but after an oil change...?
Just seems odd. I've just never seen that in the Honda manuals...

Does anyone with a Yamaha actually do this after an oil change?

Thanks!

rdlsz24
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Does it use a filter? I could see it being a safeguard against putting a filter in backwards after a change.

Rob

Yamada
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Does it use a filter? I could see it being a safeguard against putting a filter in backwards after a change.

Rob

yes the 200 and 225 have an oil filter, but the guys who put it on the wrong side is an idiot that do not deserve to own a trike.

PaTriker
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I always do it. Why not?