PDA

View Full Version : why do they use push thottles instand of

curtis slawson
01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
whydo they put on push thottles instand of twist thottles

i would rather have a twist thottle

TheRealFatShady
01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Take a semi-tight turn on a 3 wheeler at a slow speed. Then double the speed and take the same turn. Chances are, you'd pull the throttle at the wrong time just by turning the bars.

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
i put a twisty on all my trikes,ive never had an unwanted rev up for any reason.thats just me though

code200k
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
i like my thumb i had a twisty on my Z took it off for the thumb.. i think twist stay on dirtbikes just used to it i guess

JohnR.
01-24-2010, 09:41 PM
One of the first mods I always do is get rid of the thumb and go to a twist. The only ATV I have that I haven't converted is my 4x4 and to tell you the truth, I hate the thumb on that too. Its hard enough to manhandle something so big and heavy through the woods and to do it without being able to use my right thumb to help hold onto the bars makes it even worse. I swear I'm going to switch that thing over too.

John

curtis slawson
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
i put a twisty on all my trikes,ive never had an unwanted rev up for any reason.thats just me though

ya i think im gunna put a twistie on my trike iv been dritbiking for 10 years i jsut got my frist trike an i dont like the push thottle

do u know any site that sell twist thottle for atc 200x

curtis slawson
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
One of the first mods I always do is get rid of the thumb and go to a twist. The only ATV I have that I haven't converted is my 4x4 and to tell you the truth, I hate the thumb on that too. Its hard enough to manhandle something so big and heavy through the woods and to do it without being able to use my right thumb to help hold onto the bars makes it even worse. I swear I'm going to switch that thing over too.

John

ya sounds good to me

JohnR.
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Motion Pro makes really nice stuff. I just took off one of their CR type ones this year because it required me to twist the throttle really far to get to wide open throttle. I went with one of their Vortex kits now, its about 1/4 turn to wide open.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/search/by_motorcycle/

rickybudz
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
The twisty makes me think bike, not trike! A twisty dont feel right without a manual clutch! Which is where my front brake is. I would probly look like I was taking my first ride on a bike/trike!

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
i use the motion pro also as mentioned above.good quality and built well

MagicJames
01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree, twist throttles have their place, but on a motorcycle, dirt bike, you lean the machine to turn, well mostly, at low speeds you actually turn the forks to turn. On a 3 wheeler, you don't lean the machine to turn, it's a thumb throttle because it really is "safer" most inexperienced riders would go and make a right turn, and turn their wrist then they turn, and BAM wheelie of death...

4cfed
01-25-2010, 01:12 AM
this is why twists on atvs are dangerous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyn0eHUJWGc

MagicJames
01-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Firstly i have to laugh; AHAHAHAAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

secondly; he's lucky he wasn't 8" to the left it would have knocked him out or possibly killed him, those C channel they build doors out of aren't soft...

This is a good video to show people who want to know the dangers of twist throttles, not to deter them, but show them what can happen....

and I've locked my thumb throttle full open before when I was doing dumb things....

MonroeMike
01-25-2010, 03:31 AM

Man, he hit hard.

factoryX
01-25-2010, 03:41 AM
bah, thumbs are for whimps, twist is plain cool, I love 2 stroke trikes with twist throttles..

jensenracing77
01-25-2010, 06:23 AM
a person can get use to either one but the reason they don't put twist on ATVs is because of the leaning involved on ATVs. with a motorcycle you are in line with the bike at all times and lean the bike. on a 3 wheeler or 4 wheeler, in a hard left turn, this is where it is most noticeable. also this is why most ATV handle bars have more draw back. with more draw back on the bar you can reach the bars better when you are sitting near the foot peg for a turn. i only know of one pro 4 wheeler MX rider that ever won a championship with a twist. i'm not saying it is wrong to use a twist but this is why they don't have them new.

JohnR.
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Blaming the twist throttle for the actions of a hamfisted operator is like saying its the gun's fault that you shot someone. Why is it any more dangerous on an ATV that it is on a motorcycle?

Thorpe
01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I like a twist on most all my machines... Except my BR... For some reason, it just doesnt seem right on a BR...

muddog
01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
its easier to control the amount of throttle with a thumb a twisty is more or less either idle or wide open that's just my experience.

Jeepermc
01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I' have no problem with twist............on a motorcycle... Anything with more than 2 wheels...gimme a thumb.. i converted my Tecate to thumb...Mo Betta!

muddog
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
I like a twist on most all my machines... Except my BR... For some reason, it just doesnt seem right on a BR...

cant agree more with the no twist on a BR anybody who puts a twisty on there should be put in front of a wall:postwhore

tecat-z
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
It's all a matter of personal preferance. But for some, a twist could get you into trouble. Obviously all my bikes have twist, but i prefer my atv's to be thumb. Snowmobiles have thumboxes for the same reasons as oem equpped atv's. Safer for the vast majority with the body english involved. "tecate excluded"

brapp
01-25-2010, 06:33 PM
i cant stand a twistie on anything but a dirtbike. i had a 6th gear wheelie go bad on 86 tecate a few years back.

JohnR.
01-25-2010, 06:50 PM
i cant stand a twistie on anything but a dirtbike. i had a 6th gear wheelie go bad on 86 tecate a few years back.

It must have gone real bad since an 86 Tecate only has 5 speeds! :ROFL:

brapp
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
oops i keep forgetting that i guess its a honda thing lol

NINJA
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks for that video. That is my new favorite! I love the repeat near the end.

DixiePlowboy
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Declaring twists outright "dangerous" is like declaring anyone that can't control a twist "incompetent". Some people don't need to ride anything with a running engine, no matter what type throttle the machine has. Plenty of people hill climb and wheelie dirt bikes with twists.....and I don't hear irrational fears of "uncontrolled-wrist induced-loopout" from them.

Plainly stated in another post, it's a matter of rider preference....nothing more. With that said, I HATE thumb-dumb throttles, but I don't encourage anyone to use a control-configuration that they are uncomfortable with or scared of. That would truly be unsafe.

Ride with what ye find comfort in:)

NINJA
01-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Yup, thumb throttles can be just as confusing to people that don't belong on machinery. Here's my case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehg5aNM030w&feature=related