PDA

View Full Version : 200es big red still not running right

daniel_250r
01-23-2010, 06:50 PM
a bit pissed off at this thing. i just can't get it to run right. heres what i know is right- needle and clip set at 3rd notch
-air filter is present
- fresh spark plug, gapped properly and correct plug
air screw set factory
valves are adjusted right
this machine just always seems really rich and down on the power, the spark plugs are BLACK and dry.
it puts out black smoke while idleing and when on the throttle. and it really doesnt keep a constant idle. the ignition timing seems right to me and the timing chain is set dead on so thats out. the carb is a stock keihnin with the needle and slide from the chinese clone carb. the main jet is the stock 95 and it has a cobra exhaust please help me out guys:confused:

3wheeledjunkie
01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Carb, might just be worn out from where someone ra it without an air cleaner. Have you tride dropping the needle. Did this to my 110 and it runs great now, no fouled plugsand doesn't stutter under mid throttle.

mopar_man
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Mixing and matching the Chinese parts might have something to do with it but I doubt it. The Cobra exhaust might be changing things too but I've never been good with matching jet changes with intake/exhaust modifications.

daniel_250r
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
well the cobra pipe is much larger diameter to the stock one so this should be lean

daniel_250r
01-24-2010, 01:34 AM
bump, also when i hold the spark plug and pull it over i can feel the voltage but its a very weak zap i can hold on easily

CRAZY70MAN
01-24-2010, 08:45 AM
my 84 gave me idle problems, started with whole complete rebuild kit. Runs great now, idles like new. Sounds like a slight jetting issue , cobra pipe thowing it off a bit . Look to slow idle jet and air cleaner first. As I said, I tried to clean as well and nothing. New was the way for me. Also, you may have some ignition problems as you should not be able to hold that plug unless you have a high pain tolerance I would think?? lol lol Good luck.

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 08:56 AM
weak spark?this could be the problem.sounds a little rich though

Frankencelery
01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I had the same thought as Mopar_Man. Maybe the combination of OEM carb and Chinese slide might be a slight mismatch? Definitely try moving the clip up, thus dropping the needle.

if that doesn't work, I've definitely seen weak spark cause poor running and carbon fouling on the plug. A better way to test the spark than zapping your balls off would be to take the plug out, put it on the end of the wire and lay it against the engine. If it won't stay, make sure the bottom portion is grounded however you can. Put a vice grips on the hex part and prop the other end against the engine somewhere. The point is to be able to see the plug, and then hit the starter. A weak spark will often show orange. What you should see is a fairly bright blue spark. You won't see this in bright sunlight, but if you're in the garage it should show up nicely. If it's weak, then you need to look at ignition circuit. Coil and then CDI, right guys?

jensenracing77
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
there is a very common problem with this engine family that i am surprised i don't see more about on the boards. first i don't know what parts will work with what but if you have the correct parts in the carb then i would go a differant direction. look at the advancer, the older these bikes get the more i see this problem, the springs get week and the weights get sloppy on the pins and at idle the timing is jumping all over the place. if you get it to run and open it up does it run great on top end? if it does then i would look at the advancer. the advancer is the part that is on the cam just behind the pulser. the problems that you describe are just what it will do when it is bad but most of the time they will run good on top end.

daniel_250r
01-24-2010, 01:02 PM
my friend has a 185 that runs good, so i'm thinking i could pick it up for 200$ and use its pulsar. i will check the gap on mine i'll bet you guys are right about it being worn out. it runs rich under any circum stance even the old carb on it

daniel_250r
01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
it does seem to run fine when its opened up but its still weak it does spit black smoke at wot, but it doesnt really back fire or sputter, i tested my ignition coil today and it tested bad on what i think is the primary coil? , showed up as 00.7 manual calls for 0.2-0.4

Frankencelery
01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
it does seem to run fine when its opened up but its still weak it does spit black smoke at wot, but it doesnt really back fire or sputter, i tested my ignition coil today and it tested bad on what i think is the primary coil? , showed up as 00.7 manual calls for 0.2-0.4

The .7 ohm on the coil is probably ok, but if you can borrow your friend's coil and try it out in place of yours, I would try that. It's probably the same coil. Then again, if you can pick up a whole running 185 for $200, I'd probably do it!