PDA

View Full Version : My right side Fork is leaking oil. HELP!

HondaTrike
01-22-2010, 11:47 PM
does this mean the forks are shot? and ontop of the forks the air valve has no air in it. so theres a lot of "easy" travel in the front. im not sure if these supposed to be filled with air pressure or oil pressure or what. and please explain how the procedures go for fixing this. just confused. help! thank you

my fingers covered in oil as you can see

eyecekold1
01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Just need new fork seals. Its not to bad I guess, I have never done it. . . yet

Yamaha_Rules69
01-23-2010, 06:31 AM
They are not hard at all to change, and if it is your first time, READ THE MANUAL before attempting. There are no real special tools needed, and the most complex part is getting the snap ring out. I got mine fully disassembled using a standard screwdriver, cressent wrench, allen wrench, and snap ring pliers. The only way the forks would really be shot would be if there was a serious gouge or pitting on the shaft near the seal where it would make up and down movement. Do you see any pitting or nicks? Good luck, follow the manual, and you will be okay.

Dirtcrasher
01-23-2010, 10:13 AM
You NEED to be handy and to have a fork seal installation toool, many times PVC can be used...........

Escanabajosh
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
i just did my sx forks yesterday. the manual says to replace the back up rings also, cost 5 bucks a pc and the seals were like 10 shipped on ebay. so about 25 bucks should cover the parts (seals,backup ring,1qt. atf.) make sure ya put in the right amount of oil too. sx was 180CC.
as for the seal driver i just took some pvc as DC said, the chunk i had was too big so i just stacked the two old backup rings on top of thegasket and it worked great. also the threaded allen wrench bolt on the bottom of the fork will need some type of thread sealer.oh also the writing on the seals goes up.i had the book so it went super easy,id read thru it befor taking anything apart.

harryredtrike
01-23-2010, 04:10 PM
piece of cake job,should go into them anyway to clean out the build up of crap in there

HondaTrike
01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
looks like im going to need a manual correct? ive downloaded acouple off line but i did not see anything about replacing fork rings. and what do snap ring pliers look like? lol sorry. so i loosen the allen bolt at the bottom to drain the oil correct? should i do this to both sides? or just my bad side. scratch that ill do them both. and can i pop the seal before or after i drain the oil?(out of the fork) appreciate the help thank you

Escanabajosh
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
the manual is a huge help. it's fork seals that need to be replaced, in my manual for a 250sx it says to replace the backup rings also. i didn't need snapring pliers ya should be able to get it with a small screwdriver.do both at the same time.

MonroeMike
01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Page 11-20

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/ATC%20250SX%20Service%20Manual%2085-87.pdf

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
those pliers look like this