PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my 83' 200e

kokokajoob18
01-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble with my 83 200e and trying to troubleshoot where this is coming from. I hooked up my battery yesterday and went to start the engine and only got as far as hearing the starter switch that is right behind the battery click and I know for a fact its not the starter because I took it apart last night and everything is still there and not worn out or broken. Plus the starter is getting a spark/power, I have even replaced the fuses with brand new ones. I can turn on the headlight/ taillight so i'm ruling out the regulator... Based on the info i've given what do ya'll think it might be? Does the 200e have to be in neuteral to start it up? I popped off the spark plug cap and tried to start it and also saw that I wasn't getting a spark at all.

oscarmayer
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
the relay for the start itself could be bad. turn the key to on and take a jumper cable. connect the neg to the frame and the posi to the cable end that bolts to the side of the starter. when you touch it the starter should kick over, if it does not, despite you takign it appart, it's somehow locked up. time for a new one. theya re like $30 on ebay.

kokokajoob18
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
the relay for the start itself could be bad. turn the key to on and take a jumper cable. connect the neg to the frame and the posi to the cable end that bolts to the side of the starter. when you touch it the starter should kick over, if it does not, despite you takign it appart, it's somehow locked up. time for a new one. theya re like $30 on ebay.

Well I gave that a shot and the first time I tried it the starter kicked over. But then after that I couldn't get it to work all it would do is spark...

Semper Fi Devil -Doc

theiizz08
01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Your starter solenoid is bad . With the batt hooked up behind the batt. box is the solenoid, its about the size of a med. bottle. Take a screwdriver and touch it to both termanls, the starter should kick over . If it does thats the prob. No spark? i would start at the ing. coil i got one on ebay for 6.00 free ship!! but you want to check all elc. conectors make shure thair clean and making good contact good luck bud!

kokokajoob18
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
What I might end up doing is just taking off my electrical components off and getting them tested at autozone for free. Also not sure if trans is in neutural don't have a peg for it yet and will it start even if it is not in neutural?

harryredtrike
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
What I might end up doing is just taking off my electrical components off and getting them tested at autozone for free. Also not sure if trans is in neutural don't have a peg for it yet and will it start even if it is not in neutural?

what do you mean you dont know if engine is in neutral.just put it in neutral,if the front sprocket turns freely its in neutral

kokokajoob18
01-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Got a pair of vice grips and made sure it was in neutral!

kokokajoob18
02-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Well on a lighter note the problem ended up being the starter which I had fixed. Then came the next irritating part of my fix and that was the starter sprocket not turning the engine over. So I cracked the left casing and messed around with the sprocket and to my surprise the engine would turn over that is until I put the case back and starter tightly then I once again couldn't turn the engine over. GRRRRR what is going on with this damn thing?

tech2452
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
did you put a gasket on that case or use silicone gasket. the original gasket spaces the shafts from hitting case. if no gasket the shafts will be pressed against the case and wil not turn.