PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z ticking noise

ytz250walters
01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
I've left my tri z standing now for about three months. When I started it today for the first time, I could here a ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. Has anyone got any idea what this could be?

pickleweasel_00
01-16-2010, 03:09 PM
exhaust leak perhaps? Is the noise coming from around the pipe flange? If it is leaking put your hand around it (don't burn yourself) and you should be able to feel it

ytz250walters
01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
exhaust leak perhaps? Is the noise coming from around the pipe flange? If it is leaking put your hand around it (don't burn yourself) and you should be able to feel it

I did notice the exhaust was leaking slightly, would that make it tick?

pickleweasel_00
01-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes an exhaust leak can make a ticking noise, so if the noise is coming from the front of the engine, that would be my guess. Buy some of the ultra-copper hi-temp rtv silicone. Should be able to buy it from any auto parts store, the stuff we have is called "ultra-copper"
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm
Take the pipe off, de-grease and clean the mating surfaces on the pipe and flange. Use the stock metal piece that sits inside the pipe to center it, and run a thick bead of the silicone around the inside flange of the pipe, and on the flange on the engine. Put it together, clean up the excess, let it sit for a day to cure, and voila! no more leak :) Hope that's what it is and not something major. Good luck :beer