PDA

View Full Version : atc 110 bad acceleration and backfires **FIXED**

3wheelerlouie
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
this thing will die if i let go of the throttle , was running fine but suddently it started backfiring at full throttle while i was going down the road , now it has no power and sounds like its not firing on time or its out of time ....... the carb now has the idle adjustment screw all the way in and still dies ...... Oh and the plug is getting wet all the time , seems like its fuel ...
Any advise??

Russell 350X
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Have you taken the carb apart? The needle might be sticking. Might even be the plug...

3wheelerlouie
01-14-2010, 08:11 PM
replaced the plug , replaced the carb. with another one from my other 110 , switched the CDI , coil and even the main harness.. I wonder if the timing chain might be too loose?? What are the symptoms of bad ignition timing??

Yamaha_Rules69
01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
The motor would run very poorly with low power if the fiming was retarted (spark after TDC) And a good way to tell if its too far ahead or advanced would be a very rough running motor, have pre-ignition, and would likely jerk your hand back violently when trying to start it. Being too far advanced is harder on the engine, but the way it sounds to me like your timing is off to the retarted side. Check out the marks, and see if they line up!

yt125man
01-15-2010, 02:59 AM
sounds to me like your valvess might be off

3wheelerlouie
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I just noticed that sometimes it would want to run "backwards" when i pull the cord , it has yanked the pull rope from my hand more than once yesterday and ran backwards making a funky sound and shootinf fuel from the carb ..

Rural Newfie By
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I get all the same symptoms on my yamaha 200e when the timing chain jumps a tooth, runs like crap and backfires.

3wheelerlouie
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
UPDATE!!!!

Got her running like new !! Woohoo!!!
I removed the cam sensor housing and checked the chain , it was loose as heck so i decided to remove the engine so i could start opening up the case but remembered that these have automatic chain tensioners and it was so loose it was making noice when i turned the engine by hand ,Turns out the timing chain tensioner rod was somehow stuck , first thing i checked was to see if the spring was bad but turned out everything was A-OK ! I just feel bad that i took the engine off the little ATC ( in case it needed the timing chain since it was very loose inside) just to find out it was something i could have done while the engine was on the frame .. Easy fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richbo666
12-07-2010, 02:31 AM
My machine has acceleration issues(1983 Honda ATC 185 s), i put it in gear and hit the gas, it moves but it sounds like the engine is working too hard,then it kicks into gear better then procedes to have more power.This happens through gears 1 through 4. What the FAWK?

DickyDanger
04-02-2014, 10:36 PM
I am also having a problem with my 110 if any one can chime in. Its an 84. It starts first pull and idles fantastic. Has a new spark plug and air filter. Engine is 100% stock and never modified or taken apart.But when its in gear and you are in between just off idle and mid throttle it goes pa pa pa pa pa like its back firing or sputtering. but as soon as you get past half throttle its fine the problem really seems to happen during low rpm putting around just giving the trike a little gas please suggest something for me to do.

wpginterceptor
04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
sounds like low idle pickup in the carb.. watch some youtube videos