PDA

View Full Version : $1 tri-z

Michwolv60
01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, heres the story. My uncle bought this 85 tri-z new back when they first came out. He rode it about half a year then broke his leg on his 82 yz-250 and parked both his toys. well, bout 10 years ago me and my cousin were 15 and ready for some fun. We dug both of them out of his garage and he helped us get both of them running. The tr-z was actually easy, put air in the tires, cleaned the mouse nest out of the airbox, and used starting fluid and the neighbors fourwheeler to pull start til it started. The yz on the other hand just needed a new set of rings. Anyways that how I got into this wonderful sport. Well, after about a year into riding I was out one day riding and it just stopped running. Being young and dumb and not ready to stop, I decieded to pull start it. That was when It all went downhill. I got home and my uncle helped me pull the motor apart and what did I find, I destroyed the piston by trying to pull start it. Well, I parked it and just bought a beeter dirtbike. Well, thats how its sat until now. I went over there the other day and took a look at it. I decieded its time to make it run again because thats what got me into this and honestly I love three wheels the most. I asked my uncle how much he wanted for it, and believe it or not he said $1. Even got the title with it. On closer inspection and now that I know alot more about them, I bent the rod also. The motor will get a full tear down and rebuild.

I'm just kinda telling you guys my story and giving you a little insight into what I have infront of me. Rebuilding it stock is out of the question. I will be on here looking for many parts and I'm sure I will have alot of questions for you guys.

O ya, I also got the title to the 82 yz250 so guys what my tri-z is going to be, Powervalved and ported unless you guys talk me out of the power valve.

Heres my first question of many. Would a phase five pipe be good enough? Or do I just need to be patient and find the right pipe for my build. Also, I bought a set of 86 forks already, and I'm fine with boring the tripples to fit, but it needs for caps. Anyone have any idea where I could find a set of those? They are discontinued. I will post up some pics of my $1 tri-z as soon as I go back out to the garage again.

85200xrider
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
where ya from? ill give ya $2 so ya can make profit ;)

Dammit!
01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Nevermind. I'ma little out of it today. :lol:

Michwolv60
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
let me explain. I joined in 2003 becuase I was thinking of rebuilding it then. Well, I bought a z400 and built that thing instead. I raced alittle hairscambles for a couple years and really just decieded to be a week end warrior instead. Now its time to build this thing and I've been here off and on over the years and this really is the best place for this kind of stuff. to awnser your question. Ohio and I got to many memories with this thing to part with it.

harryredtrike
01-15-2010, 12:57 PM
should be a good build,get the pics up.

oldskool83
01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
how do you pull start a tri-z?????????????? ....they dont have pull starters!!!!!!!!! or do you have a tri-moto?

fabiodriven
01-15-2010, 01:57 PM
how do you pull start a tri-z?????????????? ....they dont have pull starters!!!!!!!!! or do you have a tri-moto?

He was pulling it with another vehicle and popping the clutch.

bp739
01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I think he means, like when you pull it with a tow strap and another bike and then catch it in gear....

Michwolv60
01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
ya, we pulled it with a warrior and dumped the clutch.