PDA

View Full Version : 350x cranks

mudbogger
01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Is there a supplier that still sells complete new/rebuilt crank kits for the 350x's by chance?Also, a bottom end gasket or full gasket set?I am trying to locate these and been coming out with 0 results.

SWIGIN
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Definitely no new ones anymore, and i doubt anyone offers rebuilt ones.....maybe someone on ebay.

I just go to a local shop and get mine rebuilt.

Ebay also has $30 gasket kits that work great, get the full kit.

atc500x
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes it's the easiest way,buy a rod kit and go to your machine shop to change it.Gasket kit are available on ebay and in any motorcycle parts supplier......aftermarket kit are cheap.

mudbogger
01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I did find a complete rod kit, complete gasket set from VESRAH on ebay-they work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ATC-350X-ATC350X-ENGINE-COMPLETE-GASKET-KIT_W0QQitemZ140373552432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20aeea6d30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATC-350X-ATC350X-TRX-350-4X4-ENGINE-CONNECTING-ROD-KIT_W0QQitemZ200424628062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa3d1f5e

the rod kit says it is for a 86-arent the 85's the same rod and bearings?Have you guys ever used these before on your motors?

SWIGIN
01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I never looked super close at both year rods but they are 100% interchangeable.

Back in the day rumor had it that the 86 rods were better than the 85 rods....I have no idea if this is true but I used a 86 rod kit just to be sure in my 85.

mudbogger
01-14-2010, 08:05 PM
cool.Thank you.My crank has some issues, looks like it got hot-oil smells burnt-and the pin is showing blue on the outer edges.I can't get a new crank,so I will do the next best thing and split the cases, replace the bearings and get the rod kit in there as well.The top end is getting it's first bore, new piston kit, valves,seals the whole rebuild, but the crank is the issue.It hasn't been run out as I have to split the cases-we will do so and see if it is out of specs,now that I can purchase these replacement items.Are the aftermarket gasket sets top notch as far as sealing goes?I know after lapping technically the cases should seal perfectly-it is the crank seals and such I worry about.I have aslo been told the exhaust valves are on national backorder-anybody hear that as well?

Dirtcrasher
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm a fussy guy and I like VESRAH for gaskets, so I'd be happy with them..... Different places have them cheaper (for the complete gasket set) and IMHO, I think thats the best way to rock and roll..........

I'm not sure how well there con rods are made though. Is the Honda rod/washers/bearing and pin discontinued?? I love OEM HONDA!!Might be expensive that way though.

There is also a guy "G-something??" (maybe thats the ID??, maybe not) that had a chitload of crate motors and was selling off the individual components. It would be worth finding any of his current auctions (It will say NOS, removed from never run OEM motors) and ask him if he has a 350X crank. It may be 150$ (OR MORE) but it will be NOS and he seems well organized so I hope he can split cases just as well and that appears to be how he rolls.

I also wouldn't hesitate to put a good used crank in AS LONG AS it won't be running 12:1. IMO, those motors need very tight cranks! as well as Hi-revving 2 strokes also abuse.....

I'd start another Topic - "Who has had a crank rebuilt" and do so here and at .org. I'm just not so sure about Vesrah hard parts such as valves and con rods so I suggest you do some homework and question as many people as you can. I wonder if Hot Rods sells just a rod kit and or a complete crank?? IDK if Hot Rods are holding up though either? Thats another question I would ask.................

A warmed up engine can take the abuse, it's when the oil isn't changed and or kept full. And if it isn't full, it has a leak or is burning oil...

I bet anyone that looks hard enough and ask questions, can get a complete Crate 350X motor these days for as little as 700$. Keep or sell off the rest, the head and rocker box alone can command 2-300$ and then your down to 4-500$ with an entirely new lower end.

The guy I got one from and he also had new 350X shocks listed, sold them all in about a week. The BIN's just dropped like flies! I just happened to catch him with one more (it had more scratches than the others) for short cash and with a new OEM shock to boot.

If I see that guy on EBAY I will post it up or PM you - I'm pretty sure he's on there as of now, his stuff will look great in pics and will also includes all bolts etc etc. At one point I was adding it up and he was making about 2500$ off of each crate motor that he probably paid 200$ apiece or so for them. Many of these guys buy 10 or more of the "High School crate engines. "

Good luck!!, keep us posted and I'll do my best to help too........................................

mudbogger
01-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Did a Ebay search for cranks, theres about 8 on there currently-do you happen to have anything else about the seller you refer to in the posting, as theres nobody by that seller ID currently.
The rods are priced reasonable-not to bad, but none list the secific as to run-out etc.Makes me alittle nervous.What is usually the issues with these cranks?

Yamaha_Rules69
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
One big issue I have seen with the rods in those motors is the rod actually breaking in half from stress over time. I have seen at least 4 350x motors that the rod went out, and they all told the same story about how the rod came back around after breaking, and took out the cases, piston, cylinder, and even the head on one. If you want it done right, and it to last a long time, choose the known great performing parts. Dont double guess, buy right the first time!!!