PDA

View Full Version : 84 Honda ATC 70 no spark

nick9882
01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
i have a atc 70 that lost spark after sitting for a few weeks,i am thinking maybe the points.i am not to familiar with points.if i pull the flywheel off and turn the crank should the points open and close.

oneroom42
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
the 70's are diff then the 110... i think. the pull start has to be removed to peek in through the slots on flywheel. you will see the point close when the f line gets to the mark. if you go to sterdyproducts.com i think you can download the manual and see how to set the points. but dont quote me on that cause i never did it. i do know that the points can be a little touchy until you get the hang of setting them. did you check the other basics? try another spark plug?

nick9882
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
yep tried a brand new plug and even a differant coil and still nothing.the 70 is set up where the points are behind the flywheel.i was wondering to if the points would open and close with the flywheel off.i took off the flywheel and turned the crank over and they didnt move.

CRAZY70MAN
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
put the flywheel back on and watch for the F mark on flywheel to align with the notch on engine case . When these 2 align, the points should just begin and I mean JUST begin to open......order new if in doubt or clean them with sandpaper or fingernail file, new is always better with these though.. There is a slotted screw you will see on points to lose and adjust. Good luck