PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a rusty tank

jeepred
01-12-2010, 03:30 AM
My metal tank is rusty - surprise!

I have a 185 and I want to get rid of the rust in the tank. It really isn't too bad, but I just don't want it clogging filters or getting in the engine. I know that you put bb's or nuts and bolts in the tank to clean out the tank, but my question has to to with what to do after this. I have read you only need to use a sealer like Kreem if you have leaks. Since I have no leaks can I just keep the tank full so it wont rust again? It is winter here and I have heard horror stories about how long Kreem takes to dry in the cold and I would rather save the money anyways.

Thoughts? experience?

Erics350x
01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
you can clean it out with muratic acid.

mopar_man
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
DO NOT use Kreem. I've heard plenty of horror stories about that stuff not working. Get one of these and never worry about it again: http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/CTRK/

harryredtrike
01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
i think people use red kote now

jeepred
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
So after cleaning out the inside keeping it full of gas wont keep it from rusting, you have to use a coating?

AutoXer
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
its a good time to do it ... the tank is clean and off the bike ... so why not cote it ?

rdlsz24
01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
You can get a POR-15 kit off eBay. That is what I did with my 200x. It even sealed up little pin holes around the petcock. It has had gas in it now for about 6 months with no leaks.

Rob

Thorpe
01-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I like the por15 tank kits... Did my BR and my 350X that way... Very nice product... Stripped a kreem coat out of my BR to redo it with por15...

jays375
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Don't use full strength muratic acid,dillute it with water.Rinse the tank out really well with water.Then take some dish soap to it and dry when done.Don't know how bad the rust in your tank is or the condition of your paint on the tank.If the paint is nice be very careful not to get any acid on it.I usually use Acetone and drywall screws.I also have a old dryer rigged up to tumble tanks in.The heating elements are remove and there is a shelf inside to strap the tank in.I still rinse out with soapy water and dry it.Then I seal it with Casewell tank sealer.Works really well if you follow the directions and remove all loose rust.Even if you don't get it all out it will seal it over.This stuff will plug big holes.What ever you do don't use the Kreem.

aldochina
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
if its just a light rust film than clean with gas and bb's or nuts. Fill with gas and your done! if your tank has no heavy flaking rust or holes DO NOT SEAL IT!!

daniel_250r
01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
buy a litre of evapo rust, let it sit, rotate, when completly bare metal drain the evapo rust and fill immediatley with gas worked for me i can get pics if needed

juggaloclownz18
02-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey guys, dumb question but you put gas in there while you shake the bb's. screws. nuts etc around.... isnt that a bad idea? Or do you do it when its dry inside?

Getmoresoon
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Another vote for POR-15. 8 years strong on my '86 Concours tank which had a couple 2mm sized holes in it! Good stuff. Drys to a grindable finish... unlike Kreem.

Getmoresoon
02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah.. Kreem eventually flakes/peels off.... I have a '78 KZ400 tank that needs the peeling Kreem crap stripped out of it before I can use it again. Bad karma.

big specht
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
That is funny that every body is bad mouthing that tank kreem cause I did my 70 tank a couple of months ago and I was checking the gas in it last night and found it had started pealed . So pealed all of it out I could and I hope the rest of it don't come lose cause I don't want to acid it out cause I just had the tank painted:(

mopar_man
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
That is funny that every body is bad mouthing that tank kreem cause I did my 70 tank a couple of months ago and I was checking the gas in it last night and found it had started pealed . So pealed all of it out I could and I hope the rest of it don't come lose cause I don't want to acid it out cause I just had the tank painted:(

Carefully mask off the paint and get this kit: http://www.por15.com/HD-CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/HDCTRK/

2Tim215
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, dumb question but you put gas in there while you shake the bb's. screws. nuts etc around.... isnt that a bad idea? Or do you do it when its dry inside?

I didn't think that was a dumb question. Actually good point, seems it could be dangerous clanging metal objects together in Gas. I found this thread through the search as I have a tank to clean tomorrow. I appreciate the info on Kreem, I won't go that route. Sounds like the Por15 may be the way to go, especially if it seals small holes too! By the way juggaloclownz18, I'm in 315 too, snow was to deep to play in here between Seneca and Keuka Lakes.

dajeepman
03-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I used very sharp rocks with some gas and thinner... work pretty well have not had any problem with it so far. Make sure you get some that wont get stuck in the tank like i did lol

3wheelmecca
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM
or you could be like my neighbor and put 1 gallon of pure muriatic acid in the tank of his 1957 Chevy and let it sit...overnight. Not much left of the bottom of the tank to say the least. Kreem is good for quick fixes or irregularities, but it does trap residual rust if it isnt cleaned out, now my 200 has a peppered rust Kreem finish. I am going to try POR-15 soon.

Thorpe
03-04-2010, 01:56 AM
A gallon of acetone and a day or two time will take a kreem cote out... drain the acetone, and hit it with a powerwasher... Worked like a champ on my BR tank... Repeat until clean... Loving the POR15 kits...

tri again
03-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm going to try muriatic acid tomorrow, neutralize with baking soda, let the hose run and finish with hot water and a hair dryer.

Might drop in some dry ice to push out the oxygen and solder a penny to the hole or jb weld.

I have a bunch of old tanks so I might even try rustoleum rust reformer.

It goes on like chocolate milk and dries like black glass. Great for rusty car floor pans.

Nothing says its fuel proof however so I.ll do a patch on an old wood stove, let it cure and then soak it with some gas for a few days and see if it melts.

Sure seems pretty inert when it turns the rust to glass.

...or it will turn into the stickiest gloop on the planet and coat the carb to eternal damnation.

Maybe I'll just drive around with a glass IV fluid thing like on hospital shows and forget the tank altogether.
Or a plastic outboard motorboat tank from walmart for 14$ and strap it to the rear racks.

New Plastic tanks are under 100$$ on ebay so I wonder at which point I should give up and buy a new tank.

Oh, how does that plastic screened petcock tube come out of the tanks??

peter250r
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
GO THE VINEGAR! my brother used it on the tank of the 74 atc70 he was doin up and came up bloody nice.

tri again
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
My metal tank is rusty - surprise!

I have a 185 and I want to get rid of the rust in the tank. It really isn't too bad, but I just don't want it clogging filters or getting in the engine. I know that you put bb's or nuts and bolts in the tank to clean out the tank, but my question has to to with what to do after this. I have read you only need to use a sealer like Kreem if you have leaks. Since I have no leaks can I just keep the tank full so it wont rust again? It is winter here and I have heard horror stories about how long Kreem takes to dry in the cold and I would rather save the money anyways.

Thoughts? experience?

I have as many dead tanks as I do tires so I sacrificed one today.

Muriatic acid started smoking and actually opened a few new tiny holes that were being held with the outside paint.

Ran water tru it for 1/2 hr and then some baking soda and more hose water.

Blew compressed air and now it's on the front porch with a goodwill hairdryer in it.

Next it comes in by the woodstove for some jb weld so I'll let you know if it works.

Unless I'm mistaken, plastic tanks on ebay are under a hundred so if I cant fix it for 5 bucks, best part of 50 for por 15 almost makes sense for a new tank for me.

The upside down 55 gallon drum I was using for a workbench sure looks pretty now with very interesting patterns of rust and non rusted areas.

Keep a hose handy, wear goggles and full set of clothes.

do NOT breathe those fumes!!!

You're very lucky to not have leaks.

I usually run a foot or more of clear fuel line so it drops to a pretty big loop which will trap some heavy sediment.

Then I periodically yank the hose off the tank, let it throw up the debris and it seems to feel better, or at least I do.