PDA

View Full Version : Hatfeild-Mccoy Trails

3wheeledjunkie
01-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Anybody been? Have a good time? Trike friendly? Amount of admission? Anything special I should take? Can't decide wether to take my week vacation this year and spend some time there or go to trike fest for the week. Leaning towards TrikeFest, and I know what you guys suggestion will be, but for now, just some ideas on the H-M trip.

Tri-Z 700
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
It's a great place to go ride, it's just as trike friendly as any other trails. The "black" trails as they call them may be too rough, they can get real rocky and tear your trike up. If you go, take plenty of spare parts and some friends. Most trails I went on were in the middle of nowhere with no gas for miles and 1 local ATV shop that didn't keep anything in stock.

AutoXer
01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Bette and I went a couple years ago and had a blast there are a ton of trails there that aren't part of the hm trail system. you can ride in to town wich was cool for us. the trails are rocky and could be tricky on a trike but doo able if you got the skills we had the brute force then ...

harryredtrike
01-12-2010, 01:44 AM
dont wear tighty whities and beware of the banjo playing locals

Bill
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
I plan on going this summer.

big specht
01-12-2010, 09:29 AM
A group of us when down last year it was a good time , We rode the rock house trail system and stayed in gilbert. As for the trails we were kind of dissapointed in the green/blue trails we thought they were pretty lame so we had the bright Idea to skip the black trails and go for the double black :crazy:that was not a good idea they were really washed out and ruted and rocky. We went back to the black trails and played on them the rest of the week end . I was a good time for sure weare planning on doing a group ride the spring/summer , the passes are only good for a year so go early and if you like it you can go again in the same year on the same past.:)

max
01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Talk to ATCTIM. He went down last year and had a blast. I definately plan on getting down there soon.!!

BAN ONE
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
i went down with big specht there earlier this summer and the only thing i can say is make sure that everything(bolts gas cap LOL) are tight. i noticed after getting back i was missing a few bolts and lost a rack hold down on my sx..trails are kinda rocky so you get a lot of bouncing around. other then that great people down there and a really atc/atv friendly town.

bp739
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM

I've been there 8 times, we go every year, its the best. I took my 350x last year as a 2nd bike and had a blast on it. Save yourself some time and order your passes on-line before you go.http://www.trailsheaven.com

atctim
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I highly recommend it. It is a blast. PM me with questions.

the great gazoo
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Yup, like Tim said, I went 2 years ago for a week, I stayed at the BrowningForkTrailhouse, I think that's a website also(?) the guy who's place we rented's name is Marty Buckhannon. Real nice guy, nice as heck accomodations too, right on the trail head. You can also ride on the streets, just wear a helmet & ride sanely. The cops wave to you as you pass. I highly recommend going. Three wheeler friendly, too!

big specht
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Thats where we stayed at too, the only thing with staying in gilbert is you need to hold you breath when you shower (sulfer smelling water)

ditchmud
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Best place ever! enough said!

Bill
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
What all do you need to take your 3 wheeler there do you need a plate and regestration and insurance ?

the great gazoo
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Just bring your helmet & some $$$. They don't care what you're riding.

atvnut
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Highly Reccomended! We go every year....Just keeps getting better! Great trails! Awesome scenery! Super nice people! motelroom$45 very reasonably priced trip

RacerRichie
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Been there a few times stayed at the same place as bp739. Do your brakes before you go there is some steep to be had. Some of the best trails were local and not on the HF system.......bring lots of cash and spend it they love the ATV crowd down there.

Tri-Z 250
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
The system is ever expanding and privately owned by the Gas&Coal Co. They no longer offer the 3day pass from what I understand it a full yr pass for $80. Last yr was the frist in 5 I didn't make it down. I have rode every system they have and love them all. Rockhouse is a favorite of mine, as well as Bufflo Mt, but they all offer every skill level. Unless your on 2 wheels the single track is a meir goat trail and super tough in some parts. The double black is guarenteed STEEP and tech too. I recomend midweek rides away from the Holidays and Group Gatherings...Why? The system is NOT directional and they allow the side-by-sides. If you ride half as fast as I do you will have at least 1 close call with on coming traffic. Needless to say I was told of 2 deaths on the system do to Black Bear. The rider survived the crash and was bleeding with compound type fractures. Well Bear are pretty much land Sharks...if hungry they can smell that blood from a mile down wind. So don't go alone bring a fanny pack with survival stuff/tire repair, and YES a water drinking system(cammelback). You can get gas every 20 miles the systems locate themselves around towns which welcome ALL riders. Street riding isn't great for the Knobs but on my dirt bike I plan on the wear and always go down with freash tires. I recomend new tread the surface is rock sand clay mud...depending on the time of year it could be dusty to slick. I've seen flash flood rivers pop up that were wash outs to 2' deep raging river in a heavey rainfall. It's really dirtbike/ATV Heaven

big specht
10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
We are heading down friday morning and riding bearwhollow trail this time really looking forward to it. I will let you guys know how it went.

JayBone
10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Went last year. Rode Rockhouse& Pinnical. It was an awesome time. Well worth the 12 hour drive for me. Highway 64 blows with all those hills. My little Camery did get a workout pulling my now sold Grizzly 660. Soon to be pull'in a Grizzly 700 & my 200x.

I had no problem with getting a pass. I just walked into a shop and it took 5 mins. I picked up my pass & beer!