PDA

View Full Version : replacing 85 200x carrier bearings - any tips?

drhill
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi Everyone - one of the carrier/axle bearings is loose on my 200x so I bought new bearings and seals to fix...I have searched and rear the recent post on this proceedure in the "world class help" forum...any tips for a noob?

Should I buy any kind of grease for assembly? The bearings didn't come with any but they are in sealed plastic with some kind of light oil on them?

Is heat pretty much required to remove old bearings? If so, I gotta get a propane torch...

Thanks!!

Dammit!
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Heat always helps. It's a little easier to get a punch in there on the first gen 200x than it is a later model with a seperate carrier. A little heat and a punch with a good tip on it and you should be able to knock them out without too much trouble.

I always pack as much axle grease in there as I can. The bearings are sealed but the grease is a water repellant and keeps things from rusting up.

drhill
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Dammit!

Things always take me a lot longer the first time I do them so I'll just plan to do it right and get a good punch and a torch...buying tools has always been a good investment for me!

harryredtrike
01-12-2010, 01:58 AM
i agree with dammit.i pack so much grease in mine its stupid.i like grease with a moly in it.when you get your old ones out clean and deburr the carrier and freeze your new ones,should slide right in

jeswinehart
01-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Your first major obstacle wiil be to get the brake hub off so you can remove the axle/carrier assembly.
I watched/helped a friend recently removing a R axle and it took HOURS to coax the brake rotor hub off his trike.
We fashioned up a puller using threaded rod (1/4 inch) flat washers and a piece of thick alu to pull against the end of the axle.
Plenty of heaT (Mapp gas) tighten rods, lube, tap tap tap ~ repeat as needed.
There always seems to be a generous amount of Mother natures lock tight on these older machines (rust).

john
P.S.:left hand thread on the big locking nuts

rdlsz24
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
They are a pain to take out and a pain to put back in! When I was beating mine out one of the bearings broke leaving the race still in there, and I couldn't get it for anything. I took it into the dealer and he had some new special tool just for this. It took him 30 seconds and he didn't charge me, but I gave him $5 for his trouble lol.

Rob

jays375
01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
The bearings are sealed that is why the plastic is there.So all the grease really does is lube the spacer piece between the bearings that the axle goes through.If you have a electric die grinder bearing removel isn't to bad.If you knock out the center of the bearing the outer isn't a real big deal.I put a grinding stone in,split it with the die grinder.Be careful not to grind the carrier.