PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Yamaha YTM225DX (Rear Bearings)

celicagt23
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey all,

I recently purchased an 85' Yamaha YTM225DX and need to replace the rear bearings. Any advice?

One issue that I am having while preparing to do this is that the Clymer manual describes the bearings as "Rear Axle bearings" but other websites show and list them as "Rear Wheel Bearings".

1. Am I missing something or are they one in the same? (Just different terminology)
2. Do I need to completely remove the rear disc brake set up to replace the bearings?
3. Does the rear axle have to be removed to replace the bearings?
4. Has anyone here ever replaced these before? Any tips or tricks to remove the existing bearings?

Below is a picture that I got from the old 3WW site in the specifications section. The parts in the diagram are #9 and #10.

This is a picture of the rear bearing kit that I bought on ebay. (Moose Racing) The top piece is the same size as the smaller bearing (#10 is the smaller bearing) I believe that is the "Hub Dust Cover" Does anyone know what that piece is for sure? I thought there would be 2 covers in the kit but apparently there is only one.

I just want to be sure of what I am doing prior to tearing the bike apart, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!
:)

runaway
01-10-2010, 01:21 AM
hello
celica i just did the bearings in mine and i only got one dust seal also, could this be that now that you are replacing the bearings with sealed bearings that you dont need one on the brake side? im in the same boat as you.

theiizz08
01-10-2010, 02:12 AM
I did them in my budys 225dr not to long ago if they r the same everything must come off the axle and you will need a block of wood and a good heavy hammer . We had to wale on it to drive the axle shaft out ,it goes out to the right side ( standing at the back of the trike ) i hope this helps good luck!!

smokinwrench
01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
You need the dust seals, don't trust the seal on the bearing or you will be doing this job again soon. I done my 225dr years ago and it was terrible, guy I bought it from use to float it across the great salt lake, so you can imagine what the bearings looked like. I ended up having to use a die grinder to cut the bearing races off.

celicagt23
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I did them in my budys 225dr not to long ago if they r the same everything must come off the axle and you will need a block of wood and a good heavy hammer . We had to wale on it to drive the axle shaft out ,it goes out to the right side ( standing at the back of the trike ) i hope this helps good luck!!

Do you need to do anything special when removing the axle because of the shaft drive, I just dont want to damage the drive mechinism.

Thanks for the replies, all good info!

celicagt23
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
You need the dust seals, don't trust the seal on the bearing or you will be doing this job again soon. I done my 225dr years ago and it was terrible, guy I bought it from use to float it across the great salt lake, so you can imagine what the bearings looked like. I ended up having to use a die grinder to cut the bearing races off.

I suppose I need to try to save the existing dust cover for the one side. Do they just pop off seperately or do they come out with the bearing?

runaway
01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
hello its not that hard, heres a manual it loads slow
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf
every thing is gravy until you remove the bearings dont use a screw dirver like i did and wind up breaking that internal gear,screw driver slid under bearing and snapped a small piece off.lucky it was a easy fix.

the manual pretty much explains it all, its page 240&241
good luck