PDA

View Full Version : removing paint from plastic

porkjr
01-09-2010, 10:03 PM
how do you remove paint from plastic without ruining it?

beets442
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't know if it would work or not.Methylethylketone(MEK). I use it to strip paint from wood. USE GLOVES and EYE protection. Menards or Ace hardware. Try on a small spot first, it might dull the surface but should buff or wax out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

shortline10
01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
A pressure washer is the best way IMO.

DixiePlowboy
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I just stripped the yellow and blue paint off the black maier plastic on my 500. I started out with laquer thinner.....very messy and didn't work easily. Brake parts cleaner did a little bit better, but it was actually tough to get Krylon Fusion off. A pressure washer alone would have never blew it off. Kinda hard to believe.

All the paint strippers I looked at said not for use on plastics, so I'm not sure what's best even though what I did eventually worked.

rickybudz
01-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Answer- Softscrub with bleach and 320 grit followed by scotch brite! Basically you wet sand with the soft scrub and 320 to get the paint off and buff out the scratches with the scotchbrite. Insted of wet sanding with water, use the softscrub! It works great! Check out my albem to see the results! I did finnish up buffing it out with mothers!

porkjr
01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
the beach won't take the color out of the originial plastic will it

shortline10
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
If its just cheap spray bomb the pressure washer idea works great but if it was a decent paint that really bonded your gonna have to do it the hard way . sanding and scrubbing . I have a large commercial pressure washer and it will pretty much remove any spray bomb .

Tri-Z 250
01-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I've had good luck with a steam shark for most of my spray bomb problems. If proper prep was done before the paint steam won't work...your gonna need to scrub/ sand as suggested

rickybudz
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
No, the bleach wont effect the color if you stay at the job. I wouldnt suggest leaving it on there for very long! To tell you the truth, I dont think there is a whole lot of bleach in it, at least not enough to effect my 25 year old plastics. A good thing to remember is to rinse off all chemicals after every step to relieve your plastics of sanding debris, becauase it can actually continue to ruff surface further, and reverse your finnish. I tried many things and this is what I found to be thurogh with out damage. Like I siad use Mothers to buff/polish, the fact is Mothers is second to NONE!

eyecekold1
01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I have used air craft stripper in an aerosol can before on orange, red, white, and green plastics and it took off the paint and didn't hurt the plastic at all. You spray it on, it bubbles the paint and you wash it off with water. Don't get it on your skin it burns just use eye and hand protection.

honda200x1987
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I have found a very good way to remove paint from a plastic fender, just spray some "SUPER CLEAN" on it and in just a few minutes the paint will start to bubble and just hose off with a water hose. Repeat if necessary, " it will not harm the pastic at all" I promise, i have personally done it my self. This is the " only" way I would do it.

racer....X
01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I just crank my steam cleaner way up...it peals the paint rite off.Then if they need it I run over them with the buffer and some polish