PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help fixing up a 110

mjeselskis
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Hello,
I just discovered this forum, and wish I found it years ago.

I'll give a little history before I ask for help. I started out on an 83 Honda 110 when I was 4. I rode that tough 110 until I was 13 and upgraded to an 85 350X and rode that until I started college. I still regard that as one of the best machines ever made. I recently have owned a 02 400EX, that wasnt nearly as much fun to ride as my old 350X.

I just picked up an 80 and 82 Honda 110 with the intention of fixing one up and using the other for parts. I have just put new axle bearings and seals in the 82 and a plastic gas tank is in the mail. I am stuck right now on the recoil and ignition system. Neither one has a recoil, but I can find those on ebay. The problem I am having is how differently the two look behind the recoil around the flywheel. I have attached two pictures, one of each machine. Can someone explain the giant difference between the two machines and what I am going to need to get one of them going. My plan right now is to get the 82 going as it has new axle bearings and seals, intact plastic, and looks more 'modern' than the round headlight and old seat on the '80.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 80
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3422.jpg

The 82
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3424.jpg

Overall Picture of the 82
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3426.jpg

Thanks again

MrGiggles
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
One of the major differences between the two is the 80 will have a points ignition system and the 82 is Sollid-state (much more reliable).

The difference in the recoils is because the 82 have a different style of generator, so you can't swap the recoils between the two.

Service manuals can be easily found online and will help a lot.

mjeselskis
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
One of the major differences between the two is the 80 will have a points ignition system and the 82 is Sollid-state (much more reliable).

The difference in the recoils is because the 82 have a different style of generator, so you can't swap the recoils between the two.

Service manuals can be easily found online and will help a lot.

Thanks, I'll look for a manual. In the meantime, am I missing something that should be attached to the flywheel on the 82. What are the dogs on the recoil supposed to latch into? It's tough putting it back together when I didnt take it apart.

Thanks.

mopar_man
01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
You're missing the cage for the recoil to engage into on the '82. Also, make sure you get a newer style recoil. I tried to put one from my '82 110 onto my '78 90 and the latter one sticks out too far, hitting the gear shifter and not allowing it to bolt on. I'm not sure if swapping them the other way causes any problems though. There's some pretty knowledgeable 90/110 guys here that will probably chime in to confirm. That '82 looks a little crunchy. Does it turn over OK? Did you adjust the valves and rebuild the carb? If you do some searching on here, you can find some links to online manuals so you don't have to buy them.

yt125man
01-05-2010, 12:27 AM
hey if you ever need partss for it i got a 1983 parts bike and all of the parts i have will work on your 82

mjeselskis
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to post an update. I ended up using the 1980 motor because the 82 smoked pretty bad and I got a recoil cheap for the 80. I swapped the rear axle and carrier, headlight, front tire, throttle, kill switch, grab bar from the 82 to the 80. I put a plastic tank on since the old one was rusted through. I recovered the seat and painted the seat pan to stop the rust. I cleaned and painted the wheels. Probably some other stuff I forgot. I need to get some decals for the tank to dress it up, but its looking good. Its been a long time since I've ridden a 3 wheeler. I missed it.

Before:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3426.jpg

After:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3461-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3459-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/mjeselskis/IMG_3462-1.jpg

Walkerallen
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
great job. the bike looks 100 times better

Vealmonkey
01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
It looks pretty good except those tires are way too overinflated. They should only have 6 pounds or so of air in them. Nice job on your 110.

MonroeMike
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
X2 on the tires.

Looks good.

mjeselskis
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
It looks pretty good except those tires are way too overinflated. They should only have 6 pounds or so of air in them. Nice job on your 110.

Thanks, I just checked the right tire and it had 10 lbs so I aired it down to about 4 lbs. Now, the right tire.... Pressure gauge reads zero, but tire is very hard. I tried letting air out, and nothing. I took out the valve stem core and no air came out. I stuck a 3" nail in the valve stem with the core removed and it hits something solid about 1 1/2" in. Almost feels metallic. No other valve stem on the inside or outside. It's holding air, but i have no idea what's going on here. I dont want to break it down to find out.

Any ideas? It reminds me of the internal beadlocks they use on rockcrawlers, but I highly doubt it. The tire is pretty firm, but not solid like it was filled with cement.

MrGiggles
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
If tire doesn't have a tube in it valve stems are only a couple bucks and not hard to change.

mjeselskis
01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
If tire doesn't have a tube in it valve stems are only a couple bucks and not hard to change.

I don't think its a valve stem problem. I stuck the nail in far past where the valve stem should have stopped. It's like there is somethin in the tire.

mopar_man
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I wonder if some moron put Slime or something similar in your tire.

MrGiggles
01-18-2010, 08:32 PM
That's weird. How cold is it where you're at? It could have ice in it or something. Also, they make "run flat" tubes for bikes that are just like a thick rubber foam in the shape of an aired up tube. I'm not sure if they made them for ATV's but it's possible I guess.

MudBug
01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
A gas - soaked rag will take that overspray off your tires. looks alot better I must say, good job!

mjeselskis
01-18-2010, 09:24 PM
That's weird. How cold is it where you're at? It could have ice in it or something. Also, they make "run flat" tubes for bikes that are just like a thick rubber foam in the shape of an aired up tube. I'm not sure if they made them for ATV's but it's possible I guess.

It is cold out, but this has been in my heated garage for a week so no chance its frozen. Maybe some sort of a run flat, but it feels like the tire has air in it when you step on it. Even if it had slime in it, it would stay completely hard when the valve stem core was pulled out. Maybe I'll just have to live with it for now.

harryredtrike
01-19-2010, 02:38 AM
looks a hellofalot better.get that overspray off the tires and your golden.next time spread vasoline on the tires and the overspray wipes right off