PDA

View Full Version : Swing Arm Removal

Bransharksfan
01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
OK so I am having issues with removing the large bolt that connects the swing arm to the frame.

I have sprayed the bolt and whacked it with a hammer and nothing. I did not want to pound it too hard but I am thinking that is the only option. I read through the manual but that did not help.

leevarnado
01-04-2010, 06:57 PM
your going to need to put some heat on it then get a bog a-s mall and beat the sh-t out of it,also use plenty of lub.if the heat and doesnt work,you gonna have to cut the bolt.

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
That "heat" needs to go to the swingarm area where the 2 pivot bearings are installed as thats usually where there sleeves are rusted solid onto your swinger bolt.

In many cases, you have to spread the frame a bit and sawzall that bolt out and deal with the rest of it on your bench. Regardless of who owned it before, anyone who goes through this treats there new parts like gold :lol: Just take it apart every year, lube it up and your chicken!! :D

01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
If you have access to an air hammer, thread your nut back on and pound on that a bit. It worked great on mine.

Bransharksfan
01-12-2010, 11:23 PM
That "heat" needs to go to the swingarm area where the 2 pivot bearings are installed as thats usually where there sleeves are rusted solid onto your swinger bolt.

In many cases, you have to spread the frame a bit and sawzall that bolt out and deal with the rest of it on your bench. Regardless of who owned it before, anyone who goes through this treats there new parts like gold :lol: Just take it apart every year, lube it up and your chicken!! :D

OK after sawzalling the bolt free I got it all out. NOW the bolt has the sleeve attached and I heated the SH** out of it. Placed it over a piece of metal with a hole the right size and whacked it several times and NOTHING!! Also the bearing carriers (??) are still stuck in the swingarm. I am about to just buy anothing swingarm!! LOL