PDA

View Full Version : Sand proofing your 3 wheeler

DC SUPERJET
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I ride mainly in sand, and right now I have the motor out of my 200s and everything is in pieces. I figured now would be a great time to sand proof my trike. Do you guys do anything to keep things safe in the sand? Any particular lube on the chain and sprockets? Any little trick or tips you can offer? Thanks in advance.

tanks350x
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
make sure you run plenty of air cleaner lube as well

tecat-z
01-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Fresh seals throughout bike, "chassis and engine" and clean off all grease and oil since they act as magnets for sand retention. Of course a well maintained air filter is obvious. I take a somewhat different approach to my chains. But you having an enclosed chaincase won't really matter. I run my chains nearly dry in sand due to sand retention and oil sling. But you, would be safe to use normal chain lube since yours is enclosed.

Dirtcrasher
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I think it's a catch 22.

If you grease the hell out of everything (that rotates), sand sticks to it and then it's a grinder.

Although I'd make sure all my bolts had some lube on them (I always do this) so they come out another day. But thats more of a water/corrosion issue.

I'd keep everything fresh/tight and wipe off excess grease. A light lubricant (maybe silicone based) may be better for the chain......

DC SUPERJET
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
thanks for the responses...I do not run a chain cover for the reason that it just traps sand and actually makes things worse.

jeddy
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Use a foam air filter, I prefer the UNI. If you do use a K&N style filter, make sure and run an outerwear. Clean the filter every trip to the dunes if you can. You'd be amazed at the amount of sand you can get out of a filter than looks clean to the naked eye. If you can, keep most or all of the stock intake snorkel parts in place. On my 350X I can make several trips to the dunes and rarely if ever have any sand in the airbox, and I tend to bury the thing and get roosted, so it sees plenty of sand.