PDA

View Full Version : No Packing in exhaust and motor performance

rickybudz
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
If the packing gets removed, what happens?

4cfed
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
it wil be louder.. and will lose some power.. not alot but some

harryredtrike
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
no packing should mean more flow of exhaust.more flow, better top end.more packing will have more torque.too much packing and youll choke the motor and will run rich.

Racerguy381
01-03-2010, 09:31 PM
It will effect the preformance quite a bit exhaust silencer length will effect your top bottom and mid power. Rule of thumb shorter the silencer the more bottom end you will have, longer the more top you will have. I always ran shorty silencers in indoor races like areacross, then changed the silencer to the full length for outdoor MX tracks. You can really tell the difference between the two when you run them back to back. When there is no packing the exhaust thinks the silencer is extremly short, all the gases expand into the silencer chamber and creates turbulance as it tries to exit. Its almost like adding backpressure when you dont need it. I always try to repack my silencers about every 10-12 rides.

nd4speed
01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe wrap the tube (where packing is) with auto exhaust wrap and clamp it in place to make like a straight stinger? Loud but proud?

daniel_250r
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
it will make your trike loud and run leaner, if its a 4 stroke its no biggie move the needle clip down one if its a problem. 2 stroke you will be taking a risk

JohnR.
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
If you remove the packing altogether you will make less power across the board because all the holes in the silencer core are wide open and they slow down the exhaust gasses. If you pack it nice and tight then the holes will be pretty well filled up with packing and that will allow the exhaust to pass through more easily. I see no benefit to running a blown out or emptied out silencer.

John

beets442
01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
:rolleyes:http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/beets442/PDT_popc1-1.gif